• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefit is a part of Income for Lawsuit Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Can someone know if there is a recovery from employment lawsuit, unemployment benefit will be included as income, which will be greatly deducted from the recovery. I heard before that unemployment benefit is not calculated as income when talking about the recovery in employment lawsuit. Please help advise, thank you.

Beth3

You need to explain what you're talking about. Who sued whom (the employer sued you or you sued the employer?) and who prevailed and therefore is entitled to recovery?

peterlee

Thank you.

The case is about employee suing former employer for wrongful termination. The employee have unemployment benefits. The lawsuit is still on. I assume in case the employee prevails the case, the back wage which the former employer will pay, will deduct the unemployment benefits which the employee claimed in the period of the litigation from EDD?

ecmst12

I think that your UC benefits won't be DEDUCTED from your settlement, but that you will have to pay the state back out of the settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">