• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment compensation for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My ex has been court ordered to pay child support throught the state of Minnesota. Although he was ordered to pay a certain amount, somehow he has found loopholes to not have the full amount garnished from his wages. Now I have come to find out he has been laid off. My child support officer however failed to mention this to me. He did acknowledge me on this matter. Now I am wondering if I can still collect child support through his unemployment compensation checks. My child support officer has been of no help in responding to my phone calls and/or letters I have sent. Is there anyone who knows what the status in Minnesota is for collecting from unemployment compensation?
I am suffering terribly as it is, because I am pregnant and on bedrest. I am unemployed myself. Can anyone offer any help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential