• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment denied - any ideas on what to do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tifille

So I have no idea where to turn and am willing to hear all ideas on what to try next. After putting into the system for 27 straight years, I have been denied unemployment in 2 states. Here are the facts:

* Worked in Florida for a world-wide company full-time until July 2008
* Took a position with the same company in Canada for a 2 year assignment starting August 2008.
* Company decided it was not a good fit and ended the assignment in August 2009.
* Offered me another position instead in Texas - took and worked this assignment starting Sept 2009. Was subsequently laid off from this role Nov 2009.

I applied for unemployment in Texas - was denied because based their sliding date eligibility, hadn't worked in Texas long enough SINCE MOVING there. They said to apply in Florida

Applied next in Florida and was denied there as well because hadn't worked long enough BEFORE LEAVING there.

Have now tried to apply in Canada, but by their rules, will likely be denied because it has been too long since my employment there ended.

I am so frustrated. Have applied to over 70 positions to which I am HIGHLY qualified in the past months to no avail and now my family has NO income until I find employment. My wife is applying madly to jobs as well, but because she has been home with our children for 7 years, even retail companies are snubbing their nose at her due to the gap. After all these years of contributing to U.S. Unemployment, I get no benefit probably the only time in my life that I actually need it.

Any help or ideas anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Bruce

swalsh411

You apparently are not eligible for unemployment benefits because you do not have enough wages from a US employer in the base period. This is one of the downsides of working in another country.

When you were working in Canada, was it for a US-based company? If so you might have some success filing for unemployment wherever their headquarters are located and having that State count the wages you made working in Texas. Not sure it will work but it's worth a try.

I don't know how the Canadian unemployment system works and this is not the forum for such questions. Good luck to you though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">