• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arfonce

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Situation:

On 11-2-06 my employer held a meeting and told us that they were going to shut the place down. There are 42 people working there and they said that they were going to move some of the equipment and 18 employees to another location nearby.They also said that they were going to post these positions and that we would have to apply for them and go through the interviewing process.They also said that there would be a layoff but didn't say when. Yesterday(11-16-06) they posted the descriptions for the new positions and stated that we need to apply for them before 11-22-06 at 5:00 p.m.

Question1:

What happens if we don't apply? Do we lose our unemployment compensation eligibility?

Question2:

What if we apply,get laid-off, then get interviewed and don't like what we're offered. I think I know the answer this one.

I'll check back tomorrow. I can call the state unemployment's office then also.

Beth3

What happens if we don't apply? Do we lose our unemployment compensation eligibility? Since there aren't enough jobs to go around, that shouldn't have any effect. Your employer can't argue your eligibility based on your being offered work; you weren't. You were only given the opportunity to post for a limited number of available positions.

What if we apply,get laid-off, then get interviewed and don't like what we're offered. I think I know the answer this one. In all likelihood, you would no longer be eligible for unemployment benefits. The State takes a dim view of turning down work simply because you don't "like" the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">