• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Fraud- HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willow27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have been notified by telephone that I have been overpaid unemployment compensation by mis-stating my earnings. I did, I admit it. Now I want to know the consequences I face. The amount is approximately $2100.00. They told me they will be mailing me a letter when they confirm the earnings I stated were reported incorrectly.

Can I pay it back? Will I go to jail? Will my current employer be notified?

Beth3

Not only can you pay it back, you HAVE to pay it back.

Yes, you could go to jail but the odds of the State prosecuting you for UC fraud are slim, particularly if you repay the amount owed back timely and don't cause any further problems.

No, your current employer will not be notified. This is between you and the State.

Beth3

Will my current employer be notified?

On second thought, is your current employer the entity whose UC account you were drawing from? (In other words, did you have a period of unemployment or partial unemployment while working for them?) In that case, they very likely will be advised by the State that an overpayment has been made and their UC account is being credited. Whether any other specifics will be provided, I can't say.

willow27

Thank you

Thank you Beth.

The claim was under my past employer, who is now out of business.

Should I call UI now to set up a payment plan, or wait until I am notified by mail. (I am thinking the later)

Beth3

I really can't advise you on that; it's entirely up to you. They will catch up to you however.

applecruncher

They said they will notify you in writing – and they will.
At that time, contact them and work out a repayment plan. Make sure you understand any other penalties. For example, if you were to lose another job and file another UI claim, you might be penalized in weeks. If the letter doesn’t explain this, make sure to ask.

Stick to the repayment plan, don’t even think you can skip or delay payments. They will come after you fast – wage garnishment, bank accounts, tax refunds.

Don’t EVER do that again.

commentator

No, if you cooperate with their repayment plan, there will be no need to garnish your wages, thence no contact with your current employer. But yes, they caught you, yes, it appears it was a fraud overpayment -- stuuupppiid of you, because wages from work cross match with unemployment payments so fast.

But it happens all the time, usually they do not prosecute people who cooperate with them. You'll just pay the money back with penalties. What you should do is be very sure that if your financial situation is such that you cannot repay the money now and in a timely manner, request a waiver of payment right now while they are setting it up. You won't have the waiver opportunity later. In talking to them, I strongly suggest that you set up a payment schedule that is reasonable. In other words, don't commit to paying them $300 a week till the payment is done and then have to default on it because you couldn't pay your electric bills this winter. Set up a smaller, more reasonable plan, say $100 or $25 a week if they will do that and keep paying on it. I do not recommend that you go and borrow the money say from a credit card and pay it off, that's stupid, because if you are faithful in taking care of it, they will not prosecute and you will not have to pay a very excessive interest rate on the money, though there probably will be penalties involved.

This is a very common situation. People stupidly think they can cheat on their unemployment all the time, so the system is very used to working with you.

Last edited:

willow27

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses. I KNOW it was stupid and I will NEVER do it again!!!!!

Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">