• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment if you Quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamielly

What is the name of your state? TX

I have worked for my company for over 3 years and am done. It's a big corporation and I have been screwed over one too many times. I was wondering under what sort of circumstances could someone file for Unemployment Benefits if they quit a job?
I'm pregnant, and while I know it's illegal to Not hire me b/c of this, the chances of me finding another job while I am are slim to none. Though I do intend to look, in the meantime I have no idea how much longer I can stomach my company.

Also, amoung many other things, the most recent thing told to me by my empoyer was that I was qualified and could be given another position but basically she didn't want to give it to me b/c I was going to be going on maternity leave (I was given another major promotion a few mths back and was told "they did not file the paperwork in time" and lost the job-I, of course beleive it to be b/c we all found out in the midst that I was pregnant, but that is a bit hard to prove) this time, I have in email from my mgr telling me I was basically passed up (twice!) for the altnernate position I asked for b/c I am pregnant and will be going on maternity leave. (I was only 5 weeks when everyone found out, I am 6 mths now, so will still be at work for the next 3 mths)

Last edited:

Beth3

Quitting your job because you're not happy will not constitute "good cause" to resign and be eligible for unemployment benefits.

If your employer refused to promote you because you're pregnant and/or because you're going on maternity leave, that may be a violation of two laws: the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act. You may want to discuss that with an attorney. If it can be reasonably demonstrated your employer violated the law, then you may have good cause to quit and collect unemployment. Nobody here can tell you for certain however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">