• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegitagt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was a temporary employee for a school district in CA. I was released after working most of the year as policy to prevent temporary employees from working too much and the employeer being force to hire the employee. (State Law(i think) and Union Contract)
Well I got a call from the Union saying I worked over my time and will be hired on as a permanent full time employee and will be getting back pay for the entire time I was off.

My question is. Am I required by state law to repay UI benefits which I received while off work. I needed the benefits and the claim was valid.

I looked on the CA EDD website and they only mention having to repay if the claim was invalid of fraudulant.

I hope this way the right forum section.

ecmst12

I believe you will. You should call the unemployment office and ask them so that if you DO have to pay them back, you can do it before you go and spend all your back pay :)

CourtClerk

You can't get paid twice for the same time period. So, if you receive back pay for the time that you receive unemployment benefits, you will have to pay back the unemployment benefits, because you weren't unemployed during that time.

EDD will sue you, so don't let it get that far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">