• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brendakay59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I'm in Ohio. If I take a temp job with the Census, will it be hard to get back on unemployment? Am I allowed not to accept the job, since it's temporary? I'd really prefer to keep my time available to search for permanent employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me put it it this way.

In the UI office that I generally visit, they are giving the test for census workers. They have flyers telling people how to apply for jobs with the census. They are making sure that everyone who comes in knows that jobs are available with the census and how to apply.

Not everyone who applies will be offered a job. It depends on many variable factors who will and who will not. But if you are offered a job, I would expect turning it down to be a disqualifier for benefits. In a market where there are so few jobs, when the US government is looking for hundred of employees, do you REALLY think that if you turn down one of those jobs, they'll continue to pay benefits?

pattytx

You'll have plenty of time with a census job to continue to look for permanent work; they aren't generally going to be full-time. And, if you'd be an enumerator, most work will need to be done evenings and weekends anyway.

commentator

Census work will help you on your unemployment much more than it will hinder you. Don't turn it down if you want to continue your benefits. Work there part time. You are being paid wages from a covered employer. When you make less than you can draw, you will be able to file (with the census bureau's complete cooperation) what is called Partial Unemployment, which means any week you make less in gross wages than you could draw in unemployment, you will receive your pay from the census and some of your unemployment claim too. The part you don't get is saved back for you later, not lost. So work now, while you can get it, then you'll have more weeks to draw after it's over. You'll even have re-earnings to set up a new claim when your benefit year ends and you haven't found another job. So this part time work is good for your situation. You'll have lots of time to hunt other jobs, too. No use jiving the office with that excuse. Nobody's that busy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">