• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dittoalert

i live in iowa and have a question about iowa code section 96.4, and 96.4-4. this is in reference to the requirement to make 250.00 dollars before an individual is eligible to refile for benefits. i am confused by the code. if a person is unemployed and files for benefits, that initiates the benefits year. so if after a year and the person is still unemployed they file another claim, have the earnings available, but are ineligible to receive the benefit amount because they did not find employment in which they where able to achieve 250.00 in earnings. i am confused because if i was able to find employment why then would i need to file another claim. if i have available earnings and a benefit amount i am denied these because i did not find employment. thus inflicting additional hardship to an individual. is there anyway a person, who has followed and been active with the agency, obtain the benefits which are allowed. it doesnt make any sense to denie someone unemployment benefits because they remained unemployed.

Beth3

I'm not in Iowa but my State has a simliar provision and I expect virtually all States do in some manner.

The bottom line is that there is a time limit on how long an individual can collect UC benefits. UC is not welfare. It is meant to provide you a temporary income while you seek new employment.

State reg's define under what conditions an individual is eligible to collect and provides for a finite time frame. It appears you have exhausted that. Until you take a job somewhere, work the required number of hours and/or earn the required amount of wages, you are no longer eligible for UC benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">