• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sweet Mama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I recently was laid off from a WA employer. I reside in Idaho and have been getting my benefits. I had an overpayment in Idaho from almost 8 years ago I forgot about. Can they take my unemployment benefits from WA to pay the ID overpayment?

swalsh411

Did they say then can? Unless somebody who works for Idaho unemployment happens to see your thread, you won't know for sure until you file.

commentator

Overpayment units rarely cross match with other state's overpayment systems. I'd say you're probably okay until you file a claim against the actual state where the overpayment is. I'd certainly take a chance on it. It sounds like you have already filed this claim, from a Washington employer, using Washington wages to set up a Washington claim.

Even if you did have to pay the overpayment back, you'd certainly get it paid back and off your record by filing again this time when you are laid off and eligible. And once it was paid off, you'd be able to draw the rest of the claim, and any extensions that were available. But I wouldn't volunteer the information to them that you have "happened to remember" you had an overpayment in your state of residence. It's the responsibility of the different systems to collect their overpayments. If the WA system doesn't have an overpayment on record for you, and doesn't want to take money from you to send over and pay ID, that's to your advantage.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">