• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5amigos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California/Nebraska

I was on unemployment from California from Jan 2010 to December 2010. I moved to Nebraska and found a job in mid September 2010 but continued to claim unemployment in California until the end of November to supplement the HUGE pay loss that I had to take. Will they catch the over payment since it is in a different state? What will happen if they do? I was caught once before and had to re-pay it with a fine and then was unable to claim unemployment for a year or two but I was still in California not another state and it was kind of a mistake. What do you think would happen?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was on unemployment from California from Jan 2010 to December 2010. I moved to Nebraska and found a job in mid September 2010 but continued to claim unemployment in California until the end of November to supplement the HUGE pay loss that I had to take. Will they catch the over payment since it is in a different state? What will happen if they do? I was caught once before and had to re-pay it with a fine and then was unable to claim unemployment for a year or two but I was still in California not another state and it was kind of a mistake. What do you think would happen?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
BULL!
It is an outright, intentional, defrauding of the UI system.

Well, usually thieves are behind bars ....

Beth3

Will CA catch you? Probably. What will happen? Since this is your SECOND TIME defrauding the UI system, it's quite possible they will pursue criminal prosecution against you. I hope they do.

commentator

Sadly, it is a little easier to defraud state to state...takes a little longer to catch it. But in the long run, I'd say they'll catch you. When you file your taxes this coming year, the whole federal system will come into play, since part of what you received was federal extension money, NOT state unemployment funds, and you're going to be screened a bit more thoroughly.

And that's allowing that someone you left behind in CA, or someone who's mad at you in this new place doesn't call in on you and report you for spite.

The fact that you've done it before means you've used up your "oh I didn't know any better, it was SORT OF a mistake" bulls*&^ excuse. You set out to commit fraud. You drew about four months of money you were NOT entitled to. Federal extension money, by my guess. So this time, there will be more than sanctions. There may well be prosecution with both fines and some possible jail time.

ScottPilgrim1

What can I do to keep the state from collecting an "overpayment" of unemployment? I am currently applying for a waiver but I'd like to see what options I have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">