• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uneployment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taddles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

not sure if this is the propper place to ask this but it is short and brief. I am currently on unemployment from a full time desk job. some years ago i used to waitress and thought i would give it a go until i can find suitable full time work again ( i carry health insurance for my family and full benifits are necessary ) it is stated on my financial determination i am able to make X amount of dollars per week, which i know i probably will not come close exceeding at one particular restuarant i may interview at snce i now someone currently working there. here is my question, last year i had multiple surgeries but i am able and available for suitable employment regardless of my condition. what would the repercussions be if i decided to waitress again but then realized i am not able to continue to do that Physical type of work any longer and have to seperate from that job. will it cause a problem with collecting my unemployment since i will be leaving the job on my own free will? and they will want to know why i am no longer working?
as i stated, as much as i want to ( i love waitressing ) i do not know if i am physically able anymore for that type of work. I had a bowel resection and hernia repair and a third procedure all related to my auto immune disease.
thank you

Last edited:

commentator

My advice to you is don't even think about it. Waitressing is a sport for the young. If you have been working at a desk job, and that's what you want to do in the future, I'd save waitressing until I had absolutely drawn out of all the unemployment and extensions I could possibly get and I was totally out of new job prospects in my field. That way you could try it, but there would be no repercussions on your unemployment insurance. You'd have no unemployment to lose.

Any time while you are drawing benefits that you accept a new job, even if it is very part time, or is something "lower status" or of a different nature than what you were doing when laid off, no matter what you put down as the type of work you want to do, any time you accept that job and work for any length of time, then that becomes your last job of record. (allowing of course that it is not under the table, not a job where there are no take outs, which you DO NOT need to fool with anyhow.)

If you have to quit it for health reasons, or are fired, or quit because you hate it, you are going to be found out even if you did not report it to unemployment as required (because this job's wage records will correlate with the unemployment system) and you will be committing fraud if you draw any more unemployment without telling the office about having done this and the circumstances of your quit. And as you said, because you have quit of your own free will, no more unemployment.

Your current health situation, as long as you are able and available and actively seeking the kind of work you lost, (desk job) is not a factor. Take something else, like waitressing, quit it and say it was for health reasons because you have all these restrictions, and you'll be out of unemployment very quickly!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">