• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unethical personal conduct of a California Highway patrol Officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanicelove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I reside in california and purchased a home with my former fiance, who happens to be a seasoned California Highway Patrol Officer. It turns out that approximately 5 months ago my former fiance abandoned the relationship, as well as his financial responsibility as a co-borrower for the home we purchased without prior or subsequent notification. In keeping with his passive aggressive personality and truly unbeknowst to me (although he reportedly resumed relations with a former girlfriend), he has refused to communicate with me for several months now and has stopped paying his portion of the mortgage. To this end he has ignored my emails, phone calls and text msgs. He contends that although he is bound from physical abuse, he has no problem torturing a woman emotionally. He recounted a situation where he once simply stopped talking to a former girlfriend as a means to "drive her crazy".

I have been struggling to keep up and avoid serious damage to both our credit rating, but given his lack of response it seems that he is ok with letting the place go to foreclosure. I now have an opportunity to refinance the property via FHA streamline process, which would allow me to reduce the payment and perhaps skip a payment. My former fiance, the CHP, is not responding to me nor the mortgage broker in an effort to consummate the refiance. Someone mentioned that law enforcement officers are bound to a certain code of ethics even as it pertains to their personal life i.e. deroggatory credit etc. Please let me know if this is true and what recourse I may have. In light of the situation my former fiance left me in, I am unable to afford an attorney. I realy appreciate this site and qualified or reliable advice.
Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

The nexus between his actions and his job might be difficult to make. But, you can always make a complaint to his commander and see where it goes. However, none of that will help you with any civil issues you have over his financial delinquency.

If you do not have the money for an attorney so that you can sue the former fiance, you might consider walking away from the property.

Ultimately,this is a civil matter and has little to nothing to do with his employment.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">