• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorijo

What is the name of your state? LA
I have been in a very nasty divorce for about a year now. I have wanted it to be over for a very long time, but my ex is carrying it on and on. He is a very petty person and a perfect victim. His lawyer has fallen for his lies, hook, line, and sinker and is helping him continue on with any little petty thing he wants. She calls him "poor baby" and is hanging out with him socially. Tonight when he brought the children home she was with him. That means my girls are with this woman when visiting him. He is 30 and she is probably about 60 and married so I don't believe they are romantically involved but who knows. I was wondering if this is in some way unethical. I know he has to come here to pick up the kids, but I absolutely don't want the person he is supposedly paying to get me, around my kids and coming with him to my parents house, where I am living now. For all I know they are checking out the place to see what they can come after next.

L

lostagain

Interesting situation

I hope to follow your link and see that someone knowledgeable answers your question. I've read that a Judge on a case cannot be communicated with (such as letters and whatnot) without all the other parties to the case present (FL Law). Such that you cannot write a letter complaining or whatever to the Judge on your case because they are not allowed to communicate with anyone individually about that particular case - any discussion would have to be in open court and all parties notified. It seems that you might try to file a motion of recusal based on their "personal relationship". That is if you think there is another judge who would be "more impartial" than this one. I'm going to request recusal of my judge based on Prejudice. I understand that after I file this motion I will have to argue my "case" (motion) to the very judge I'm seeking to recuse himself - and he can choose to deny my motion (scary). I've heard that many judges will recuse if asked just to avoid any suggestion of impartiality. I would think you might have some grounds there because though they could both argue that "nothing of relevance has ever been discussed" - the "friendly" nature of their relationship alone could possibly suggest bias. I hope someone with true "law knowledge" answers your question.

lsut1ger

A personal relationship between a client and their attorney is not unethical or a conflict of interest. It happens all of the time.

There is nothing you can do to keep this woman, or any other woman for that matter, away from your children unless they pose a significant danger to your children.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Re: Interesting situation

lostagain said:
I hope to follow your link and see that someone knowledgeable answers your question. I've read that a Judge on a case cannot be communicated with (such as letters and whatnot) without all the other parties to the case present (FL Law). Such that you cannot write a letter complaining or whatever to the Judge on your case because they are not allowed to communicate with anyone individually about that particular case - any discussion would have to be in open court and all parties notified. It seems that you might try to file a motion of recusal based on their "personal relationship". That is if you think there is another judge who would be "more impartial" than this one.
How is this at all relevant, lostagain? Her stbx isn't pal-ing around with the judge, but with his own lawyer. There is nothing unethical in that. If HER lawyer was pal-ing around with him, that would be an issue. But she said nothing at all about the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">