• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair eviction threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shoosey

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I own a trailer and rent a spot at a trailer park. My landlord has finally admitted that the reason we are being asked to move is because he doesnt like our dog. We have a 5 month old pitbull. He has threatened to have my trailer moved by the sheriff's office,
which i would have to pay for if i dont move it in 3 days. He finds reasons to come over and scream at me etc. I was served with a paper saying that i had to move. I am trying to move but i am having a hard time finding a company to move my trailer because they wont come on his land or he wont allow them. He has also stated that i wont get my deposit back because i was evicted. I was never served with any eviction notice and have always paid my rent on time. It will be costing me about 2,500 dollars to move. I feel that I am being asked to move because of his personal hatrid for pitbulls (which he knew i had when i moved in) The dog has never caused a problem. I have had to seek help for the stress and anxiety i have received and i am now on paxil and another drug..i can't afford this move and have done everything he said to do...i even got rid of the dog like he asked (he gave me 1 week to get rid of it). Can i take him to small claims court and make him pay for my moving? Thank you

V

Votan

You are going to have a tough time convincing a judge in a law suit that the bread of a dog is more important than a place to live. At any rate, call this number in the Justice Department (225) 342-9763 and see if they can help you

Q

quirk

If you are on a month-to-month rental agreement, he can ask you to leave at any time, with proper notice, for no reason. No, you cannot sue for moving costs, as your agreement assumes either of you can terminate at any time, for any or for no reason. However, he also cannot keep your security deposit other than to use it for damages/unpaid bills/etc.

If you are on a lease and you move or are evicted in mid-lease, you are responsible for unpaid rent, advertising costs, etc, until the property is re-rented, up to the end of the lease. However, in that case, he cannot evict you on a whim. If pets are allowed, he cannot evict for the pet. If pets are not allowed and you got rid of the pet, he will still probably not be able to evict, as you "cured" the violation. Just because he gave you a piece of paper telling you to move, doesn't necessarily mean it's legal.

Why does the paper say you have to move? What reasons does he give for threatening to move the trailer? Without a legal eviction (if you haven't recieved a notice for court, you haven't been legally evicted), he could get into legal trouble for having the trailer moved.

S

Shoosey

unfair eviction threats

The reason on the paper stated * for breaking the rules*. I was told that i could pull onto the grass with my car as long as it wasn't wet. This is what i did and he came over and started screaming at me for doing it I pointed out that it wasnt wet and you couldnt even see the tire marks. This is the rule he says i broke. He did this AFTER the incident with the dog as if looking for a reason. I do not have a lease, just a month to month agreement. It's very expensive to move a trailer and because of the type person he is (wants to show his power) he still insists that i move. He admitted last week that it was because he didn't like my dog..which i understand and i agreed to get rid of it. Still, It just doesn't seem fair and in the future i will be more careful about who i rent from. I want to move but he's also making that difficult.

V

Votan

You said you were told to do so... It matters a lot who told you to do so. Was it the landlord himself? Was there any witness? If it wasn't the landlord, was that person authorized to tell you so? Call the Justice Department in Baton Rouge at the number i gave you in a previous reply. You don't have to tell me what is your age or gender, but consider the question of discrimination when you talk with the Officer in J. D.

S

Shoosey

unfair eviction threats

voltan.....
The landlord told me i could pull on the grass and yes i had someone with me when he did. I'm a 24 female..i work 5 days a week and dont bother anyone. Its his hatred for pitbulls that started all this.

V

Votan

Take the point of quirk that you have cured the problem and talk about it to the J.D. They will negotiate with the landlord for you.

FarmerJ

shoo since this has all happened by chance have you looked into the possibility of seeing if there is a loan /mortgage program you would qaulify for that would allow you to purchase a lot and install water/septic /electric service and the relocation of your home ?

S

Shoosey

unfair eviction threats

farmer.......i have looked at real estate in my area and i can't afford it. I make only 8.50 and hour. I wish i could.

M

macro9999

Shoosey:

Let get one thing straight, no one can evict you except a judge.

Do you have any idea why people fought and died for you in ww2 korea vietnam?

Its to protect the way we live and our rights as Americans.

And one of those rights is a fair hearing in a court of law, so the landlord can threaten all he wants to, and if he does anything like lock you out or keep you off your property, then call the police and have him arrested as a trespasser.

Also you must realize that no one likes pit bulls except drug dealers, and most people associate the two, so are you dealing drugs? then you should understand why people treat you this way.

So you have nothing to worry about unless the landlord gets drunk and harasses you... then call the police.

Last edited:
S

Shoosey

unfair eviction threats

macro......yes, i know what people think about pitbulls and that's why i agreed to get rid of it...the animal was being abused..its a puppy and that's why i have it..i love all animals....but..that's besides the point i think..the rules state that i can have pets..no mention of what kind..seems americans are losing their rights because of a dog breed..i'm not defending the dog...i'm defending my rights to have it if i want to....no..i've never done drugs in my life and i dont deal them either...its just the fear of the breed that caused him to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">