• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair landlord? Pursue legal action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StephanieCK

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

Around 3 years ago my boyfriend B was kicked out of his rented room because his landlord S 'believed' B was using drugs. (The claim was completely unfounded and we believed it was inspired by S wanting the rent the room to another person for a higher price than what B was paying--but we can't prove it.) S was a homeowner who was renting out 3 spare bedrooms in the house he lived in. S gave B only a week to get out of the house. Because B was unable to find additional housing within a week, S moved B's stuff from B's room into the garage. We discovered that S used B's computer until B was able to move everything to a new place; we don't know what else could have been used, but we also know that a vast collection of CDs were missing when we finally moved B's stuff.

1) Should S have given B 30 days notice?
2) Does the fact that the accusations were false have any bearing on this?
3) Does the fact that S used B's stuff or that some of it was missing when we picked it up have any bearing on this?
4) Does the length of time between B's eviction and us moving B's stuff out of S's garage have any bearing on this?
5) If S has broken a law (or many laws), is there a statute of limitations?
6) If S has broken a law (or many laws) and we are with in the statute of limitations, is it worthwhile to pursue legal action?

I know very little about fair housing laws--basically only that they exist and are pretty strict--so any input is welcome and appreciated.

fairlight

Your situation has nothing to do with fair housing laws.

Why have you waited "around" three years to find out if you can take legal action?

You've admitted that you can't prove that your landlord wanted your boyfriend out so he could rent the room for a higher price. You're required to have proof in a court of law.

You need proof that your landlord stole from you.

How could your landlord have accessed the computer without a password?

You need proof that your landlord used your "stuff."

Too little, too late.

StephanieCK

While I appreciate that you believe this has nothing to do with fair housing laws, and you had useful feedback for some of my questions, you also assumed some things that I would like to clarify for you.

Until 'around' four days ago we did not realize that there could be possible legal recourse. We unfortunately know very little about the legal process in general, which is why I am posting on this site.

Your next two sentences are helpful.

Just FYI, every computer does not come pre-equiped with a password, particularly if it is/was running a pre-Microsoft ME or XP OS. I know that I personally found it a pain in the butt to have to log into my computer pre-ME/XP when it was only a home PC, so I never set one up until it was required by more recent OS. Even had there been a password in place it was not extraordinarily difficult to get around such a password until recently.

Your next sentence is helpful.

And while I appreciate that you gave me an honest reply, I was looking more for advice and not personal opinion.

BelizeBreeze

This has nothing to do with the fair housing statutes.

I suggest you do a little reading before asserting such a case in law.

Who's Liable?

What you should have done is filed a theft report for the missing items... The police would have gladly questioned the LL as to where the items went if he indeed have control of them...

Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot you could have done... As stated before, you would've needed actual "proof" that the LL was using the items, and even thanm, what would you have done, told him bad?

PghREA

StephanieCK said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

Around 3 years ago my boyfriend B was kicked out of his rented room because his landlord S 'believed' B was using drugs. (The claim was completely unfounded and we believed it was inspired by S wanting the rent the room to another person for a higher price than what B was paying--but we can't prove it.) S was a homeowner who was renting out 3 spare bedrooms in the house he lived in. S gave B only a week to get out of the house. Because B was unable to find additional housing within a week, S moved B's stuff from B's room into the garage. We discovered that S used B's computer until B was able to move everything to a new place; we don't know what else could have been used, but we also know that a vast collection of CDs were missing when we finally moved B's stuff.

1) Should S have given B 30 days notice?
2) Does the fact that the accusations were false have any bearing on this?
3) Does the fact that S used B's stuff or that some of it was missing when we picked it up have any bearing on this?
4) Does the length of time between B's eviction and us moving B's stuff out of S's garage have any bearing on this?
5) If S has broken a law (or many laws), is there a statute of limitations?
6) If S has broken a law (or many laws) and we are with in the statute of limitations, is it worthwhile to pursue legal action?

I know very little about fair housing laws--basically only that they exist and are pretty strict--so any input is welcome and appreciated.
Read up on Fair Housing -

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/index.cfm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">