• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair treatment at work!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oojonas

What is the name of your state? Arizona
A few months ago I was written up at work because I was accused of something I did not do. A week later my manager told me I am lucky I was not fired and she could "no longer trust" me. I need the job I have, otherwise I would have walked out after that. I put up with even more when I was 5 mins late to work and my manager wanted to write me up for that, too, even though all the other employees are late all the time and never written up. After I discussed the issue of fairness, she threw away the write up and told me that she was sorry and to forget it ever happened. She admitted that she was being unfair and she still had issues "trusting" me.
A few days ago a co-worker did the same exact thing I was accused of, except he actually did the act, I witnessed it myself and so did all of the other people in the office. However, when the manager was notified, he was not "punished" like I was. I was written up and threatened that I would be fired, and all he got was a slap on the wrist.
There are a few things that make me different from the other employee-I am a minority, I am female, and I am about 20 years younger than him. Now, I am not sure if any of these factors play a part, but I feel that each employee should be treated fairly and with the same rules. I do not feel my manager has treated the situation equally and fairly. Then to add to it, I do not feel I ever did anything wrong to begin with.
What are my options here? Am I being discriminated against? Am I being treated unfairly?
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Being black, young and a female does not mean you get to show up for work late and it doesn't mean your boss HAS to trust you.

From the facts in your post you have no case.

oojonas

Maybe I was unclear about the issue I was asking about

uhh..actually I am not black, but thanks for your smart-ass comment. And showing up for work late once was not the issue...The issue is I am treated unfairly at work. The consequenses for me are different from the rest of the staff. That is my issue. I would like advice. I would like to know if I can do do anything about equality at work. I understand I was late once to work, and life happens sometimes and people may have to be late and I also understand the consequenses of being late. However, others show up late constantly with no consequenses. And the described situation on my previous posting was not equal. The fact that I am a minority, younger, and female are just other factors one may take into consideration because I am the only one at my place of employment that has these characteristics.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

oojonas said:
uhh..actually I am not black, but thanks for your smart-ass comment. And showing up for work late once was not the issue...The issue is I am treated unfairly at work. The consequenses for me are different from the rest of the staff. That is my issue. I would like advice. I would like to know if I can do do anything about equality at work. I understand I was late once to work, and life happens sometimes and people may have to be late and I also understand the consequenses of being late. However, others show up late constantly with no consequenses. And the described situation on my previous posting was not equal. The fact that I am a minority, younger, and female are just other factors one may take into consideration because I am the only one at my place of employment that has these characteristics.
And my smart assed comment went right over your head. It doesn't matter if you are treated unfairly as long as it is NOT because of a protected status.

Don't like it, quit. It is NOT illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">