• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unhappy with Photography Product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmlebeck

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Iowa

I was asked to do a banner project for a school booster club. I created 84 banners of their fall sports athletes. When the banners arrived (barely on time, because I had a very short time to do all of this before the event), I noticed there were some mistakes which I had made on a couple, and there were some print issues on a few. There were also some missing, which I contacted the printer about. When I delivered the banners, I mentioned the mistakes, and bad print on some. I told them that I would fix these at my cost, and if anyone else was not happy about their banner, to let me know, and I would take care of it at my cost. I am not charging them for the redo. I talked to some of the parents personally, and they understood, and were not upset. They know that I will make my word good. The booster club on the other hand, is demanding that I remake every banner. Even the ones that were fine, and they want me to pay them for the money they feel they lost out on. Can they do this, when I was upfront with them, and I offered to fix it at my cost?

quincy

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Iowa

I was asked to do a banner project for a school booster club. I created 84 banners of their fall sports athletes. When the banners arrived (barely on time, because I had a very short time to do all of this before the event), I noticed there were some mistakes which I had made on a couple, and there were some print issues on a few. There were also some missing, which I contacted the printer about. When I delivered the banners, I mentioned the mistakes, and bad print on some. I told them that I would fix these at my cost, and if anyone else was not happy about their banner, to let me know, and I would take care of it at my cost. I am not charging them for the redo. I talked to some of the parents personally, and they understood, and were not upset. They know that I will make my word good. The booster club on the other hand, is demanding that I remake every banner. Even the ones that were fine, and they want me to pay them for the money they feel they lost out on. Can they do this, when I was upfront with them, and I offered to fix it at my cost?
Why is the booster club insisting that all banners be redone when some turned out okay?

Were you paid by the booster club to make the banners, or were you a parent-volunteer, given money to cover the cost of the banners but not compensated for your time and labor?

The booster club obviously CAN insist on a complete re-do - because apparently they have - but, unless you were hired to do the banner-making, I don't see how they can force you to re-do them all.

lmlebeck

Why is the booster club insisting that all banners be redone when some turned out okay?

Were you paid by the booster club to make the banners, or were you a parent-volunteer, given money to cover the cost of the banners but not compensated for your time and labor?

The booster club obviously CAN insist on a complete re-do - because apparently they have - but, unless you were hired to do the banner-making, I don't see how they can force you to re-do them all.
I was paid to make the banners at my cost plus shipping. The rest is my donation to the club.

quincy

I was paid to make the banners at my cost plus shipping. The rest is my donation to the club.
How do you mean you were paid but at your cost?

If you were paid to make the banners, the booster club has a good argument for insisting that the banners are done to their specifications. But I would only re-do the ones that weren't done correctly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you mean you were paid but at your cost?
The OP is saying they didn't make money on it - they didn't get paid for their time...only the cost of materials.

If you were paid to make the banners, the booster club has a good argument for insisting that the banners are done to their specifications. But I would only re-do the ones that weren't done correctly.
Agreed.

lmlebeck

I was asked to do the project. I told them that I would only charge them what I pay for them at the printer. My time and labor are a donation.

lmlebeck

The OP is saying they didn't make money on it - they didn't get paid for their time...only the cost of materials.

Agreed.
Here is the thing though. Each parent pays for their child's banner. It is the same price no matter what. I was not at the event, so I don't know what they told the parents. When I was in charge of the event, if something was wrong, we talked to the parent, and told them it would be made right, and they were fine with it, and went ahead and paid the price. I don't know how they handled it this year though.

quincy

I was asked to do the project. I told them that I would only charge them what I pay for them at the printer. My time and labor are a donation.
Thank you for clarifying.

I again suggest that you just re-do the ones that were done incorrectly, even though you are now donating more to the booster club than you originally intended.

quincy

You're welcome, lmlebeck. I appreciate the thanks.

Good luck, to both you and to the school athletic teams you are helping to boost. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">