• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unhealthy conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am currently renting an apartment in Pennsylvania. I would like out of the lease but if I can not get out without legal justification I would like to know what else I can do. I live in the second and third floors of a home. THe first floor is rented to another tenant. The apartments are separate but the heating system is the same throughout the house. The other tenant is a heavy smoker and it comes straight up through the heat vents. I am allergic to the smoke and it makes all of us sick (my 2 other roommates and I). I also is so strong that it wakes us up when he is smoking in the middle of the night. It is disgusting and intolerable and we hate living with it. Is there anything we can legally do because of this? Does this qualify as unhealthy living conditions? Also, I have fallen down my bedroom stairs twice now. THis last time, one of the steps broke. THey are very narrow and there is no hand railing. Does he have to provide me with one? Finally, our electric wiring was inspected over a month ago and declared not up to code. How long does he have to fix that? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential