• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured 14yr.old son injured at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julieg3

We live in Massachusetts my son is in jr high where his gym teacher told the students the could bring in their rollerblades and skatebourds to gym one day.Well my son doesn't own either onebut they shared.here we hve a gymclass full of wheels but not safety pads or helmets.I do not view this as a safe or controlled environment. Here is the problem my uninsured son was riding a skateboard on his stomache and was trying to stop with his feet when he crashed headfirst right into the corner of a cement wall.He split his scalp right alongthe midpartline of his head, which involved gointo the ER by ambulance 10 stitches and a cat scan.I am so thankful that he is okay it cold have been much worse.Myquestion is does the school have any financial liabilit for this ? Thank you for any advice you have. Julie

------------------

L

lars coltrane

tough question to answer in this forum. So instead of giving wrong info, I would suggest going to the gym and taking photos. Next, armed with the photos, set up meetings with attorneys in your area to see what they think. Claims against schools can be hard and the law will vary state by state.

Glad to hear that the injury was not as bad as it could have been. Good luck and let us know what happens.

R

redcannon

I recently had a child get injured at school as well. Though it was totally different circumstances. As the previous reply states, laws vary from state to state. School officials have told me that they have their own insurance and adjusters. Anytime an accident occurs on school property, an accident report must be filed out by the school. This is forwarded to the school board. It seems that in an accident of this nature, they would do something for you. I was told that the adjusters would look into it, witnesses' statements are given (generally to the principle) and the adjuster decides if the school, staff, faculty, or employees were negligent in any way. If so, they will compensate. They will generally try to get out of anything they can. An attorney told me that suits filed against the school boards generally drag on for years and they will NOT settle out of court. However, our case was no where near your son's injuries. Sorry it's not legal advice just a little of what I learned.

L

lars coltrane

That is a very nice comment, particularly as you have had the experience.

One more thing to be aware of in this situation: the period within which a claim must be filed may be shorter than the "regular" statute of limitations period. Be wary.

D

dsut

If it a school sponsered function on school property, then the school is liable. Take note- your son hit his head hard enough to need stitches and a cat scan. I would strongly advise you to contact a neurologist. There is a website that might help some. www.tbichat.org. Your son might have what is called a Traumatic Brain Injury. It could be present. He may not show any symptoms right now, but maybe later. The brain is a funny duck. I wish you the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">