• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured, about to leave the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ixca

I'm in Texas, I was in a traffic accident (my fault) and when the police got there, since all the papers were in order, and the accident was minor, he didn't file a report. I was driving someone else's car (he lives in Mexico, Mexican citizen) and the insurance company didn't come through. The car was principally garaged in the US and the insurance company held that as an exclusion, which I didn't realize when I got the insurance. Anyway. Now I got the bill (the lady I crashed into had uninsured motorist coverage which kicked in) and it's $5,000, which is probably what her car is worth anyway. I got a detailed breakdown from the collectors, and the car got a lot of stuff done which was unrelated to the accident. I'm about to move back to Mexico (I'm Mexican) and want to know if I negotiate with the insurance company an amount which seems reasonable to me to pay, what kind of stuff I could be facing. They said they can revoke my licence, and the car's owner's licence, but we are both Mexican (mexican licence) so realistically, what could they do? I want to pay an amount that is reasonable, but want to know how serious their threats are. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">