• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i was in a car accident in nov 99 uninsured motorist at fault. i have been on disibilty since. my insurance is wanting to offer a settlement now because my cap is $30,000 and my wages are almost to that point now i have not returned to work and go to physical therapy 3 x week for neck and shoulder pain. if i settle now will my disability be terminated? from now on? what happenes whenthe money is gone and if i can't work? thank you for any help.



I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

1. If you still have the uninsured motorists name and have not signed off on any documentation stating you will not pursue a claim against them, you have one year (statute of limitations) from the date of your accident (here nov 2000?) to file a claim. First and foremost, it sounds as if you insurance company may want to trick you out of future medicals and possible forced retirement.

2. To best serve your needs, the insurance company may be obligated to hire out an atty to rep you at no cost to you. To make sure you have this type of coverage, ask a friend, without giving names, to contact them and ask if they have such a program and what would qualify. They are more apt to give you an honest answer because they think the person calling is shopping around for auto insurance.

3. If you are or are not covered by the insurance for such representation, contact attorneypages.com and ask for a personal injury attorney. Many of them give free consultations. At least you will know where to go and how to go about doing it. There are also free legal aid programs out there for individuals with fixed income.

To ensure your disability does not run out, and your present and future medicals are paid and taken care of, perhaps also try a legal aid attorney (contact legal aid office in your county by referring to the community guide section of the yellow pages under legal services.)

Hope this helps.
Good luck to you and stay strong. You have rights and you should properly exercise them.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential