• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured driver/owner liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Davidnga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Uninsured driver that rear ended me was in process of buying the car from his sister in law. Tag registration in her name had expired 3 days prior to accident. Insurance was verified through GCIC using tag number. When I filed claim using VIN# and Tag# with her company, they took the claim and assigned a claim number. I received a call the next day from company saying she had removed the vehicle from her policy. Since the tag is still in her name, is she also liable for my damages? Is there a law requiring the seller to verify coverage before the vehicle can be driven?

JustAPal00

It is against the law to drive a vehicle without insurance! As you were told in the other thread, "sue the bad person"! You can also call the police and speak to the officer who came to the scene to let him know that the insurance information provided was invalid. Maybe he will send the guy a citation. If you want your Jag fixed you should go through your own insurance. If they total it and you want to rebuild, ask to buy it back for salvage!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">