• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured - medical injury while vacationing - help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CCCatl

in Georgia

Hello - need your advice:

I was injured while on vacation in Jamaica. I opened the refrigerator in the hotel room and a soda bottle fell out and cut my toe amongst other minor cuts on my feet and legs.

After bleeding for nearly an hour while waiting for medical attention, the hotel nurse came to my room to topically treat my toe. The nurse couldn't provide the necessary stitches, so an outside doctor was called to perform that procedure.

How do I handle this? I am uninsured -medical insurance coverage expired a few months ago.

The fridge was stocked by the resort - it was not properly stocked which is why the soda fell out in the first place. The doctor expects me to pay. And I expect the hotel to pay both me and the doctor's fees, plus any follow-up medical care. What are my rights and how can/should I handle it from here?

Also, does this fall under the Personal Injury Law -or- Medical/Insurance category -or- elsewhere??

I don't know which way to turn --
:confused:

ALawyer

The doctor provided YOU services and is entitled to be paid a reasonable fee, by you. If you have a claim against the hotel, that does not relieve you of paying the doctor.

If you chose not to have health insurance -- or to spend your money on a vacation rather than health insurance -- that's your choice and you took the risk. You lost. It has nothing to do with anything.

If the accident happened in the nation of Jamaica, ITS laws would govern and I have not a clue as to what they are. But I'd bet that the hotel would deny liability and not accept responsibility for the medical costs you incurred, other than possibly as a nuisance claim

Even if this was in the USA, absent some personal injury of significance, I'd doubt that you have a case that any lawyer would want to handle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">