• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured motorist hit my car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Ohio
Hello. My car was parked on the street in front of my house when a neighbor's brother came down the street and tore the front bumpber off.
He was cited. He has no insurance and I have only liability as it is an older car. How should I present him with the damage estimates? Should I demand payment immediately or extend him some time?
Thank you.


Senior Member
Q1) "How should I present him with the damage estimates?"
A1) Make copies and send the estimates to him with a demand letter for the lower of the estimates. Demand payment IN FULL within 10 days from receipt. Send it certified RRR.

Q2) "Should I demand payment immediately or extend him some time?"
A2) Demand payment in FULL. If he isn't able to, then and only then, should you consider accepting payments. If you do this, make sure that the liable party signs a statement detailing the accident (time, date, etc.), that he accepts full liability, the damages to be paid and the specific payment plan (amount, time due). Finally, include a provision that in the event of breach of the agreement, he will pay ALL costs of collection and legal fees, including court costs, attorney fees, retroactive interest (to the date of the claim), etc. Make it REAL hard on him if he fails to repay you. Then, get it signed and notarized with a copy to both of you. Remember, this all may be real neighborly right now.... but it won't be if he refuses to pay!!

"Thank you."
You're welcome!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential