• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union Life Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrsmelody

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
My Mother recently passed away without a will. I have been handeling all of her financial affairs since she became ill. I found out that she never put my name down on her union life issurance policy but my half-sister and my mothers deceased second husbands brother...who is rich and she didn't even like as she got older and doubtfully would have wanted him to get this money. She signed the policy 14 years ago during a time we were not talking. I figure she must have forgot about changing the beneficiaries as everything else to date has just my sister and I on it. Can I contest it? Do I have any rights? :confused:

Thank you.

Last edited:

ALawyer

To give you a definite answer would require looking at the policy or plan and the beneficiary designation and looking to see if pehaps there is a signed but not yet filed new beneficiary designation in the files at home or at the union hall or firm.

Absent such a bit of luck, if the union bought a standard group life insurance policy, the odds are you will be out of luck, as the last beneficiary designation controls. If one named beneficiary dies, the other named benes inherit the deceased's share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">