• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union Settlement Not Being Paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mtnstyne2001

What is the name of your state? TN

I was involved in a union grievance that was settled Nov 12 that included a monetary settlement in my favor. I have not been successful in getting the actual payment and it's been more than 90 days. The payer is the USPS and I have approached it from both management side and union side with no resolution.

What are my options to get this paid? There is no date specified that it has to be paid by in the settlement; however, the USPS is subject to the Prompt Payment Act (PPA) and it is my belief they have already begun to accrue interest since it has not been paid timely. I know the PPA generally applies to contractors but it has been applied to individuals especially by the IRS for payment of late refunds, they include interest.

Any advice on how to get this resolved?

Mtnstyne2001

How did you approach it?

Who did you talk to?

What did they say?

What did they do?

"No resolution" tells us nothing.
[/QUOTE]
No resolution means I haven't been paid, the transaction was put into the system incorrectly but here we go with the nitty gritty.

I requested assistance from the union steward who said it had nothing to do with him. He said I needed to talk to my post master. I spoke to my postmaster who said I needed to call HR to get it fixed. I called HR, who told me to call accounting, who then told me I had to talk to my post master. I spoke to my postmaster again who made several calls and e-mails to accounting, payroll, HR, and labor relations. Each one claimed it was someone else job to complete but not theirs. The post masters response was that she has done all she can do. I then contacted the higher union leader who initially settled the grievance. She confirmed I was due the settlement still and she contacted labor relations. Labor relations then called my post master and my post master in a fit of rage said she is "done with it."

Hope that helps.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I know the PPA generally applies to contractors but it has been applied to individuals especially by the IRS for payment of late refunds, they include interest.
It is not the prompt payment act (PPA) that governs the payment of interest on tax refunds, it is the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The PPA applies to payments to contractors for goods and services, not to payments to federal employees by their employing agencies.

adjusterjack

I requested assistance from the union steward who said it had nothing to do with him. He said I needed to talk to my post master. I spoke to my postmaster who said I needed to call HR to get it fixed. I called HR, who told me to call accounting, who then told me I had to talk to my post master. I spoke to my postmaster again who made several calls and e-mails to accounting, payroll, HR, and labor relations. Each one claimed it was someone else job to complete but not theirs. The post masters response was that she has done all she can do. I then contacted the higher union leader who initially settled the grievance. She confirmed I was due the settlement still and she contacted labor relations. Labor relations then called my post master and my post master in a fit of rage said she is "done with it."

Hope that helps.
Yes, it does. It avoids wasting time and effort suggesting you do something that you've already done.

The contacts with accounting, payroll, HR, and labor relations probably didn't go further than the front line employees whose job training includes a class called "passing the buck."

Here's a current list of the executive management of the USPS.

USPS Leadership Team

I suggest you write a letter (not phone calls) to the person who is above both HR and Labor Relations (left side of chart) and see if he can get this resolved.

I don't guarantee anything but it would be my next step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">