• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique bankruptcy situation. Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schoenmann

I am located in Madison, WI

Back in March I was arrested for Federal Drug charges. I just recently got out on bail, I have about $25,000 in loan and credit card debt and another $105,000 owed on my house. Payments have not been made in 6 months because of jail, I currently have no job and prison is likely in the near future. I cant sell my house because the health department has declared it a "Health Hazard" and unless I pay around $20,000 to have it specially cleaned, I cannot enter, sell, or rent the house. Obviously I don't have $20,000 and I have no way to pay this debt anytime soon. Is Bankruptcy the best option?

Just Blue

I am located in Madison, WI

Back in March I was arrested for Federal Drug charges. I just recently got out on bail, I have about $25,000 in loan and credit card debt and another $105,000 owed on my house. Payments have not been made in 6 months because of jail, I currently have no job and prison is likely in the near future. I cant sell my house because the health department has declared it a "Health Hazard" and unless I pay around $20,000 to have it specially cleaned, I cannot enter, sell, or rent the house. Obviously I don't have $20,000 and I have no way to pay this debt anytime soon. Is Bankruptcy the best option?
So you were cooking meth in the home? I'm surprised that the Fed's didn't confiscate it.

Schoenmann

No, health hazard because of "suspected fentanyl" however no fentanyl was found in the house but apparently they said that does not matter. The Feds didn't take my house because my house was not purchased with "Drug Money"

LdiJ

No, health hazard because of "suspected fentanyl" however no fentanyl was found in the house but apparently they said that does not matter. The Feds didn't take my house because my house was not purchased with "Drug Money"
The feds didn't take your house because you had a mortgage on it. Depending on how long you would be in prison, you might not need to bother with bankruptcy.

jason304

See a bankruptcy attorney about a Chapter 7. Almost certainly, you'll be surrendering that house. Remember, you can be in jail and still file unless the 7th Circuit has some laws I am not aware of. If I were you, I would also shop around for an attorney that will charge the lowest amount since I assume you'll have trouble paying the costs of a 7. Usually, if you call a law office, they won't tell you the cost over the phone--they'll want you to come in for (usually) a free consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">