• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have a unique problem and am desperate for some advice on where I can get some help.
My husband leased a semi almost 3 years ago and broke the lease due to lack of miles ( we had no money to pay our bills at home only enough to pay the lease payment on the semi )
This trucking company send my husband a large bill and after we looked at the bill there were many things on the bill he did not owe. I first disputed the debt with the company and was told either pay the bill or it would go to collections.
It was then sent to a collection in Salt Lake City utah where the trucking company is located. They sent the debt to Indiana and I again disputed it first on the phone but I was threatened with wage garnishment and attachment of our property. I then send a letter to the collection agency which went unanswered.
We are now trying to buy a house and the debt was on my husbands credit report so I disputed the debt with all 3 CRA and it was removed from my husbands credit reports ( all 3 of them ) so we assumed the matter was taken care of.
Last week the mortgage company called to tell us the debt is at a collection agency in Salt Lake City. It has been discovered the collection agency in Indiana closed the account and sent it back.
This trucking companys lease my husband signed violated federal truth in leasing regulations and they are now being used in federal court over the lease. My husband is a victem of this lease and many of the charges on his last settlement are the result of the violations such as the chargebacks.
I need an attorney but have no idea what kind of attorney we need since the case involves federal regulations I am hoping we can retain an attorney in our state.
If the lawsuite is classified as a class action lawsuite then my husband can add his name to the lawsuite that is ongoing in federal court
I have no problem paying debts we owe but this company stole my husbands last pay check did not return his escrow account ( which is another of the violations this company is being sued for ) and was charged for things he did not buy, authorize or sign for. I have all receipts from when he worked there and the lease.
Until I get this matter resolved we can not get the loan on the house. Can anyone suggest what type of attorney I might contact? I am desperate this company has reuined our lives and my husbands credit. The out of state collection agency has made no attempt to collect on the debt and never notified us they had it, the last time I heard anything about the debt was from the collection agency in Indiana but they never responded to my letter of dispute ( that was back in 2002 (
Thanks for any advice


Senior Member
You might try contacting the lawfirm that has the lawsuit - an additional 'victim' to add to a class action may be just what they need, although I'd be willing to bet they have a number already. I'd start there.

You might try www.naca.net for a consumer lawyer in your area if you have no success with the other law firm.


I have contacted the company who filed the lawsuite they are OOIDA it is an owner operator Independent Drivers Association they have never responded to my numerous email. This company is one where owner operators must pay to join. My husband is not a memeber of this company so I believe this is why they have not responded. I do know if the court certifies the case as a class action law suite then my husbands name can be added to the law suite.
Right not I can not get any information from this place I have been trying since August but they just will not respond to my phone calls or emails. That is why I am trying to locate an attorney I though maybe an attorney can get information that I am not able to.
Thanks for your advice


Senior Member
And along with contacting the attorney, always make your attempts to contact them by mail CRRR. Your phone calls and emails will be hard to prove that you have even made an attempt. (although I think some emails are being allowed now)

I understand you think the charges are incorrect but have you paid the correct amount? If you are only withholding the $$ in question it looks better than not paying anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential