• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unit Owner mutiny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Questionsgalore

What is the name of your state? Mass.

Hello, I'm a member of my condo's Board of Trustees. We have 3 trustees and 9 condo units. The Board has determined there needs to be repair work done, so we have assessed all owners for the total estimated cost of repairs. The unit owners are calling for a special meeting (which they cannot do, but whatever...) to discuss the assessment. They are demanding things like three estimates for the repair work. We signed a contract with a reputable company and did not want to use single fly-by-night contractors on this project. I met with one owner who said at the meeting they will try to pursuade the board to spread out the assessments or not have the assessments at all! I read the condo docs over and over and they say the Board of Trustees has the power to make decisions for the betterment of the building. I think the other unit owners think it's a democracy, that we have to run everything by them for approval first. No one wants to get involved, but everyone has an opinion if it's something they do not like. I know the Board is right in this situation and the unit owners are very uneducated about the running of the building, but I do not think they will be appeased with logic or law. It's a possibility that they will not pay their assessments. If we default on this contract we signed can the company just put a lien on the units that did not pay their assessments? Or does a lien go on the whole building? I will probably get a lawyer but thought you may have a knowledgable bit of advice for me before I go that route.
Thanks for your time!

Zippee123

Your attitude is defensive and dismissive of the concerns of the owners. Only a certain number of issues may be discussed out of earshot of owners, such as fines, employees and lawsuits. Usually a special assessment more than 5 times the monthly association fee calls for a majority vote of owners. They also can call any kind of meeting they like for discussion as they are citizens of the USA.

HomeGuru

Questionsgalore said:
What is the name of your state? Mass.

Hello, I'm a member of my condo's Board of Trustees. We have 3 trustees and 9 condo units. The Board has determined there needs to be repair work done, so we have assessed all owners for the total estimated cost of repairs. The unit owners are calling for a special meeting (which they cannot do, but whatever...) to discuss the assessment. They are demanding things like three estimates for the repair work. We signed a contract with a reputable company and did not want to use single fly-by-night contractors on this project. I met with one owner who said at the meeting they will try to pursuade the board to spread out the assessments or not have the assessments at all! I read the condo docs over and over and they say the Board of Trustees has the power to make decisions for the betterment of the building. I think the other unit owners think it's a democracy, that we have to run everything by them for approval first. No one wants to get involved, but everyone has an opinion if it's something they do not like. I know the Board is right in this situation and the unit owners are very uneducated about the running of the building, but I do not think they will be appeased with logic or law. It's a possibility that they will not pay their assessments. If we default on this contract we signed can the company just put a lien on the units that did not pay their assessments? Or does a lien go on the whole building? I will probably get a lawyer but thought you may have a knowledgable bit of advice for me before I go that route.
Thanks for your time!

**A: the HOA needs to have legal counsel review the CC&R's. Start from there.

Questionsgalore

ok

Zippee, well that's due to years of dealing of people who want the building to be fixed but they dont want to spend any money, so it gets tiring dealing with people with no grip on reality. Also, it clearly states in our condo docs that unit owners can't call the board to a special meeting, regardless of their country of origin, so you're wrong there.

Homeguru, I'm having our lawyer look over the docs tomorrow. I've also called the contractor and moved the project a few months out to give people time to accumulate money and understanding.

I know most, if not all, of the posts on this website's condo thread are from owners who are victimized by bad boards. I'm on the other side of the fence and can say it's tough being on a board! Everybody's just trying to do the right thing here.

Zippee123

QG- I appreciate your service on the board, however, walls get built when frustrated homeowners do not have a vehicle of expression. There is an art and value to communication in Association Management. Do you do anything to actually build a real Community? Or just announcements of "what do they think this is a democracy?" Committees maybe that would actually support the Board and educate both "sides". By the way, the meeting would be for "owners only"...the Board invited to attend in that capacity only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">