• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

United Steel Workers Of America

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kygirl722

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KY
I am a member of the united steel workers of america. I work 8 hr shifts. My question is this, can I not be given a break? According to my "supervisors" I am not to take lunch or break for anything. They do not provide me with anyone to cover my area and doing what I do that is a must. Is this legal?

K

kygirl722

we are entitled to two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law in Kentucky provides for 10 minutes every four hours and a "reasonable" period for a meal between the third and fifth hour of work. Since your union benefits are better than this, that's where you want to start. Have you talked to your shop steward about the fact that you are not being given the breaks provided in your contract? What did s/he say? Have you filed a grievance over the fact that your contract is being violated?

If you get nowhere with this, you will want to point out (to your steward, to your supervisors, to management, or to HR) that KY Rev. Stat. Ann. 337.355 and 337.365 state that you MUST be given two rest breaks and a meal break. While your CBA can provide better benefits than that, it cannot override the law. And in your case, both the CBA AND the law are being violated.

If all else fails, you can file a complaint with the KY DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">