• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjustly targeted, accused and defamed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Then they should enforce this. It's like that old saying, "inmates running the asylum". That's how a lot of it had turned out to be.

The rights I'm referring to are my own civil rights, not my rights as a user. Some would view this campaign against me as some form of harassment or cyberbullying. Me or whomever else it concerns simply informing others of how the site works or expressing concern about someone else's conduct is not "abuse", contrary to popular belief, yet they have it in their minds that it's some offense against them.

I am just giving my side of the story. I don't know what was said or discussed on the other end, but I can only speak for myself and what I have witnessed. I have plenty to corroborate my claims.

Let's just set aside the site itself and say that the users are the problem for a minute. What can one do if one or more users are misusing the site, harassing others, etc, and the administrators don't follow up on the matter even when such conduct violates their terms and conditions? I've sent a few emails to the site in the past yet no reprimanding or suspending/terminating was done, as said people continued to offend. I will say that some of the admins have been helpful with other issues in the past, but not all of them are on board with how to handle people and stressful issues like stated above.
Because it is not your site, there is absolutely nothing you can do to make the owner of the site reprimand, suspend or ban other users of the site - or even tell you if they do take such actions.

That is just the way it is, as frustrating or annoying as it might be for you.

If after complaining to the site owner about other users violating the terms and conditions, you are not getting the relief from the owner that you want, find a different friendlier site to frequent.

Good luck.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What can one do if one or more users are misusing the site, harassing others, etc, and the administrators don't follow up on the matter even when such conduct violates their terms and conditions?
Frankly, there is not much you can do. If another user actually defames you then you may sue that user. Defamation is a false statement of fact that is communicated to some third person that harms your reputation. Opinions are not defamatory. True statements of fact, no matter how negative, are not defamatory. Even if the user defames you, unless you suffer significant damages (e.g. financial loss, etc) as a result of the defamation it will not be worthwhile to pursue it. Some defamation claims only allow you to recover your actual damages. Even where actual damages are not required, my experience is that juries won't award much when you cannot show much harm from the defamation. Given that a defamation lawsuit can cost many thousands of dollars, this is not something to undertake lightly.

If the actions of the other person rise to the level of criminal harassment then you may file a criminal complaint with the appropriate law enforcement agency. The problem is that the kind of attacks and arguments you get on most web forums simply won't get anywhere close to being criminal harassment. The people involved might think it harassing, but legally it often isn't.

You generally have the option to just leave the site if it is unpleasant or feels harassing for you. As Quincy noted, that may well be the best remedy for you here.

ADD: The site has a physical building/office, so they do have employees that work for them.
But the site has no responsibility for the content of posts unless it is the actual employees making the posts. The site cannot be sued for the content posted by non-employee members of the site.

quincy

... Some would view this campaign against me as some form of harassment or cyberbullying ...
If you are not identified or identifiable to others in "real life" through the use online of your real name or through the publishing of personal identifying information, you would have a difficult time supporting any legal action.

Identification is an important element of all defamation claims. And, although your online identity might be harsssed or bullied, you (generally) will suffer no real life damage to your reputation or have any real life compensable injury.

NWI1990

I figured so. Should I gain my privileges back on said site, I am avoiding those who have caused this mess. They can go ahead and be someone else's problem. However, I do feel like it's always something with these people. Going after a single person (ex. me) with little or no justification is not going to improve the quality of their site, as much as they boast about wanting the many volunteers to help keep the site clean and accurate. I do what I can. I'm not Jesus or God. I make mistakes but I own up to them and correct them.

The site is much a volunteer site, with its own rules and guidelines, yet a lot of users have never read the FAQS page on proper conduct and usage of the site, thus many have caused unnecessary issues for those who abid and use the site more frequently than they do.

My real name is on the site by choice but any username can be used. I feel that a lot of the troubles there extend to my real self too, as I have gotten messages from others before attacking my character when I have never met these people. It was to the point where I almost called the police on someone for threats made against me. I hope I never have to do that.

quincy

I figured so. Should I gain my privileges back on said site, I am avoiding those who have caused this mess. They can go ahead and be someone else's problem. However, I do feel like it's always something with these people. Going after a single person (ex. me) with little or no justification is not going to improve the quality of their site, as much as they boast about wanting the many volunteers to help keep the site clean and accurate. I do what I can. I'm not Jesus or God. I make mistakes but I own up to them and correct them.

The site is much a volunteer site, with its own rules and guidelines, yet a lot of users have never read the FAQS page on proper conduct and usage of the site, thus many have caused unnecessary issues for those who abid and use the site more frequently than they do.

My real name is on the site by choice but any username can be used. I feel that a lot of the troubles there extend to my real self too, as I have gotten messages from others before attacking my character when I have never met these people. It was to the point where I almost called the police on someone for threats made against me. I hope I never have to do that.
There will always be personality clashes on sites where people gather to contribute content and comment on the contributions of others.

On sites where people post anonymously, the anonymous online users also do not always behave as nicely as they might otherwise behave were they to converse with the same group in person.

It sometimes can take thick skin to post to online sites. If the barbs thrown at you start to pierce your psyche, however, it is best to leave - at least for awhile.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This kind of treatment and "clique mentality" from them would not fly in a normal workplace, as I've been told,

You have been told incorrectly. Not that it matters because this is not an employer/employee situation, but employers are free to treat employees differently from one another as long as they do not do for for a reason prohibited by law (race, religion, national origin etc; for using or applying for a right or benefit protected by law). In fact, there are some situations where it would be foolish for an employer to apply the same standards to different employees.

But unless it was an employee of the website, what would happen in the workplace is irrelevant to your situation.

NWI1990

There will always be personality clashes on sites where people gather to contribute content and comment on the contributions of others.

On sites where people post anonymously, the anonymous online users also do not always behave as nicely as they might otherwise behave were they to converse with the same group in person.

It sometimes can take thick skin to post to online sites. If the barbs thrown at you start to pierce your psyche, however, it is best to leave - at least for awhile.
Trust me, I've been patient and held my tongue about things, but one can only take so much. This year out of the 6 years I've been there has been testy. I'd really like to know the real reason why it's just me being singled out, when a lot of their issues started long before I joined their site. I freely admit that I might have been unaware of some procedures before or while using the service, and I have changed my approach since then, but should I still be blamed or punished for the indiscretion of others? It seems odd to have action taken with only hearing from one side and not both before making a decision. Too much of that "act now, ask questions later" mindset, in all due respect. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should ever have to be at the mercy of someone else's say-so in this kind of way and try to intimidate someone, that's unprofessional and in poor taste.

PayrollHRGuy

The rights I'm referring to are my own civil rights, not my rights as a user. Some would view this campaign against me as some form of harassment or cyberbullying. Me or whomever else it concerns simply informing others of how the site works or expressing concern about someone else's conduct is not "abuse", contrary to popular belief, yet they have it in their minds that it's some offense against them.
Again what of your "civil rights" do you think are being violated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Trust me, I've been patient and held my tongue about things, but one can only take so much. This year out of the 6 years I've been there has been testy. I'd really like to know the real reason why it's just me being singled out, when a lot of their issues started long before I joined their site. I freely admit that I might have been unaware of some procedures before or while using the service, and I have changed my approach since then, but should I still be blamed or punished for the indiscretion of others? It seems odd to have action taken with only hearing from one side and not both before making a decision. Too much of that "act now, ask questions later" mindset, in all due respect. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should ever have to be at the mercy of someone else's say-so in this kind of way and try to intimidate someone, that's unprofessional and in poor taste.
Maybe they just don't like you...
It sounds like they are unprofessional and act in poor taste. Why would you want to stay there? Go somewhere else where you are appreciated.

NWI1990

Maybe they just don't like you...
It sounds like they are unprofessional and act in poor taste. Why would you want to stay there? Go somewhere else where you are appreciated.
Well, that's on them. They really have no reason to not like me, as they have never met me in the flesh to know the true extent of my personality. The thing with going elsewhere is that there are people like that everywhere, unfortunately, so the same thing might or might not happen anywhere. It's like I told a close relative who left their job due to discrimination, that they will find bad people everywhere they try to apply at, so there is no "safe" job that can be worked.

Zigner

Well, that's on them. They really have no reason to not like me, as they have never met me in the flesh to know the true extent of my personality. The thing with going elsewhere is that there are people like that everywhere, unfortunately, so the same thing might or might not happen anywhere. It's like I told a close relative who left their job due to discrimination, that they will find bad people everywhere they try to apply at, so there is no "safe" job that can be worked.
SMH

Look, the point is that, as mentioned above, you have absolutely no right to be on their site. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. If you don't want to go somewhere else, then suck it up.

Comparing this to an employment situation is asinine.

NWI1990

Thanks for finally answering the question. You have no "right" civil or otherwise to post on the site if the owners/operators don't want to let you.
Let me rephrase: Is it in any way a violation of my civil rights to be harassed, singled out or cyberbullied for wrongful perception from an administrator and/or contributor on any given website?

Zigner

Let me rephrase: Is it in any way a violation of my civil rights to be harassed, singled out or cyberbullied for wrongful perception from an administrator and/or contributor on any given website?
How many times to you have to be told NO before it sinks in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">