• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unknown benificiary change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pathoh

What is the name of your state?oklahoma

I started a life insurance policy for $50,000 for me and my husband in 1994 in which if i was to die he was the benificiary and if he was to die i was the benificiary. I made every payment on both policies from the time they were started and in sept. 2004 my husband had changed the benificiary on his policy and i was never notified and continued paying for it until he passed about a week ago and that was when i was when i first found out about the benificiary change. that money was supposed to be for me so i did not have to rely on my children to support me and now it is all gone is there anything i can do to get it back?? please help me.

justalayman

When you stated "I started a life insurance policy" did you mean to infer that you owned the policies? Who owned which policy?

sturgbe

Only the owner can make policy changes (ie. beneficiary change). As 'justalayman' stated, you NEED to know how the OWNER of the policy was. It does not matter where the premium came from, but only who the owner was.

If you were the owner, ask to see a copy of the beneficiary change form to varify your signature.

pathoh

pathoh said:
What is the name of your state?oklahoma

I started a life insurance policy for $50,000 for me and my husband in 1994 in which if i was to die he was the benificiary and if he was to die i was the benificiary. I made every payment on both policies from the time they were started and in sept. 2004 my husband had changed the benificiary on his policy and i was never notified and continued paying for it until he passed about a week ago and that was when i was when i first found out about the benificiary change. that money was supposed to be for me so i did not have to rely on my children to support me and now it is all gone is there anything i can do to get it back?? please help me.
I started the policy and i payed for it but i was unaware that they had made him the owner of the policy. is there anything i can do about it? the payments were made from my own personal buisness account that he had no part of. Is there anyway that it can be changed without me knowing or being notified? Also is it possible for someone other than me the spouse to get power of attorney when i am still living and of sound mind?

pathoh

justalayman said:
When you stated "I started a life insurance policy" did you mean to infer that you owned the policies? Who owned which policy?
I started the policy and i payed for it but i was unaware that they had made him the owner of the policy. is there anything i can do about it? the payments were made from my own personal buisness account that he had no part of. Is there anyway that it can be changed without me knowing or being notified? Also is it possible for someone other than me the spouse to get power of attorney when i am still living and of sound mind?

pathoh

sturgbe said:
Only the owner can make policy changes (ie. beneficiary change). As 'justalayman' stated, you NEED to know how the OWNER of the policy was. It does not matter where the premium came from, but only who the owner was.

If you were the owner, ask to see a copy of the beneficiary change form to varify your signature.

justalayman

Did you or did you not buy the insurance policies. That would require you to sign a contract with the ins agent/company. You would have recieved a copy of your policies.

Did this happen? I am confused by your statement of "I started it"

If you were the owner of an ins policy, nobody can make anybody else the owner

So very simply: who owned the policies?

somarco

Look on the signature pages of the application for insurance. Who signed as the owner?

Only one response is needed.

Betty

You need to find out who was the owner of the policy - the owner & only the owner is allowed to make changes (ie change the beneficiary) on the policy. If your husband was the owner, he had the right to change the bene.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">