• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful entry into dwelling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Borzym60

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

A city inspector entered my home illegally without consent and snooped around everywhere. He discovered work I did that needed a permit which I was unaware of. Needless to say I feel like I am being harassed for information he obtained illegally.

A police officer can not walk into your house without a search warrant and start snooping everywhere for marijuana, then discover it and hall you to jail.

Do I have grounds for a lawsuit against the city? I could have considered this individual to be a intruder and used self defense.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

A city inspector entered my home illegally without consent and snooped around everywhere. He discovered work I did that needed a permit which I was unaware of. Needless to say I feel like I am being harassed for information he obtained illegally.
How did he enter your home? Did he kick in the door? Pick the lock? Climb in through a window?

HOW he made entry will be part of any determination of whether or not the entry was unlawful and any evidence can be suppressed.

And, even if the evidence is suppressed, you will still need to get the work done with the proper permits or you may have difficulties if you try to sell the property or make a claim to your insurance company.

A police officer can not walk into your house without a search warrant and start snooping everywhere for marijuana, then discover it and hall you to jail.
Under certain circumstances, yes, he can.

Do I have grounds for a lawsuit against the city? I could have considered this individual to be a intruder and used self defense.
Without additional details no one can say.

Borzym60

How did he enter your home? Did he kick in the door? Pick the lock? Climb in through a window?

HOW he made entry will be part of any determination of whether or not the entry was unlawful and any evidence can be suppressed.

And, even if the evidence is suppressed, you will still need to get the work done with the proper permits or you may have difficulties if you try to sell the property or make a claim to your insurance company.

Under certain circumstances, yes, he can.

Without additional details no one can say.
He walked right through the shut door without knocking or asking.

The work has already been permitted but I'm still pissed this guy walked right into my house without any consent and then came out screaming at me.

quincy

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">