• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried Father needs his son! Interstate.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jt2oux

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My son was born March 25 this year in Denver, Colorado; where both his Mother & I have called home for the last 7 years. We are unmarried and our relationship had been on the rocks for the past year. We had seperate residences although I had been staying at her place since the baby was born, helping to care for her and my son. Approximately 2 months later her apartment lease was up and she decided to move from Colorado to New Mexico where she could stay with a friend until she could get her feet on the ground financially and come back to Colorado. I was to remain in Colorado, working to establish a foundation for us and the future. I didn't want my son to leave the state but his Mother reassured me that she would return as quickly as possible and in the mean time she would drive him to see me every weekend until then. That was the plan back in the end of May.

Well things took a completely different route. She disappeared and lost contact with her for almost 4 weeks until I found out she was staying near her mother in Idaho. Weeks went by as I tried to convince her to return to Colorado with my son as she originally promised. Contact with her was minimal. Once a week or once every other week when she decided to pick up a phone and return my calls. I had no address for her or my son nor a phone # to reach her directly. In August I found out she signed a 1 yr rental agreement for an apartment that housing services helped her get and is now employed. She contacted health and welfare for support and medicaid. She is living with new boyfriend but according to Health and welfare she is on her own.

Now, I have got her to agree to let me fly to Idaho on Wednesday and bring my son back to Colorado to stay with me for a couple weeks. I want to initiate allocation for perental responsibilities so that I can have him in my life and preferrably to live in Colorado. Will colorado have jurisdiction in this case? I don't want to lose him again once he is here. Will there be a chance that Idaho will have jurisdiction? Do I have any rights to keep him here in Colorado? Any advise is appreciated.

Few more details: He has my last name, I am father on birth certificate, we confirmed perternity 99.9% through lab out of our own will. To date no legal action has been initiated. Although I did recieve a letter from Idaho Health and Welfare office but have not opened it yet.

thank you.

Shay-Pari'e

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but since you are the legal father, and no state has jurisdiction,.............I would imagine you could file right there for visitation/custody.

Need to get this stuff court ordered. As of right now, you have as much right to the child as she does.

snostar

--PARIDISE-- said:
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but since you are the legal father, and no state has jurisdiction,.............I would imagine you could file right there for visitation/custody.

Need to get this stuff court ordered. As of right now, you have as much right to the child as she does.
I answered him in his other thread. The child was born in CO and their residence has not been established elsewhere...yet. CO will take jurisidiction clearly and simply as long as Dad files ASAP.

Shay-Pari'e

looking11 said:
He can file where the child was fathered and born ......
Dad lives in CO where the child was born. Even if Dad didn't live in CO and mom is in ID, he could file in whatever state he is a resident of. Same with the mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">