• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unnecessary Surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsHaddley

What is the name of your state? Texas
My daughter has been in the hospital since she has been born. (8/28/18) She was born at 32 weeks and 6 days gestation. 10/03/18 she was transferred to Cook Children’s in Fort Worth, TX from HEB NICU in Bedford, TX due to ‘strider’. (She could not swallow or eat from a bottle and was having bradys.) Cooks confirmed the strider, but never treated it. She had a g button surgery (10/19/18), to have a way other than the NG tube for her to eat and help with some of her reflux, following a fundoplication surgery (12/6/18) to completely eliminate her reflux some time later, and is now recovering from a supraglottoplasty on 1/10/19 (they finally cut the extra tissue that was in the back of her throat and messing up her breathing, which is what we were originally sent to cooks for). I feel that due to negligence, her strider was not treated when it needed to be and the g button surgery was unnecessary. I feel as though the throat surgery should have been the first option and the g button could have been avoided. Do I have a case?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas
My daughter has been in the hospital since she has been born. (8/28/18) She was born at 32 weeks and 6 days gestation. 10/03/18 she was transferred to Cook Children’s in Fort Worth, TX from HEB NICU in Bedford, TX due to ‘strider’. (She could not swallow or eat from a bottle and was having bradys.) Cooks confirmed the strider, but never treated it. She had a g button surgery (10/19/18), to have a way other than the NG tube for her to eat and help with some of her reflux, following a fundoplication surgery (12/6/18) to completely eliminate her reflux some time later, and is now recovering from a supraglottoplasty on 1/10/19 (they finally cut the extra tissue that was in the back of her throat and messing up her breathing, which is what we were originally sent to cooks for). I feel that due to negligence, her strider was not treated when it needed to be and the g button surgery was unnecessary. I feel as though the throat surgery should have been the first option and the g button could have been avoided. Do I have a case?
No internet forum can give you any valid advice in a situation as complex as yours. You need a consult with a medical malpractice attorney.

carolineb

Stridor is a sound, not a medical condition. Stridor indicates a partially obstructed airway.

I assure you, from your description of events, whatever was causing the stridor was adequately treated. The need for a supraglottoplasty may have been the cause of the stridor; and, I expect it was.

Of course she needed the G-tube button. The NG tube had to be out of the way for the supraglottoplasty. She had to be fed; and, nursing or taking a bottle, even swallowing, was affecting her respirations and ability to maintain adequate oxygenation, which led to the bradycardia.

I am so glad your baby is doing well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">