• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unofficial Resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leanned

What is the name of your state? IL

I recently gave my emplorer an unoffical resignation, told the HR person that I may be moving to another state and wanted to give them a heads up about it, especially that I needed to take a few extra days off. This happened about four weeks ago, and I found out two weeks ago that they've been interviewing people for my position--within the company and through an outside posting. I found out today that I am not moving and want to stay in my position...What do I do? Can they still fire me, because IL is an at will state? Are they allowed to be interviewing other people wven though I never gave official notice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course they are. What's the point behind giving them a heads up if it's not to allow them to prepare for your leaving?

If they haven't made an offer to someone already, you *may* be able to keep your job if you tell them right now that you want to stay. If they have, you may be out of luck. As you point out, IL is an at will state. It'll be up to them whether they want to let you keep on or not.

A

ahutchGA

talk today!

I would talk to your boss as soon as you read this. You may be able to get your job back, but time is of the essence.

Go to your boss, honestly explain you made a mistake, and throw yourself on his/her mercy.
They may be willing to keep you, rather than go through the process of interviewing and training your successor.
Or they may let you go. It's their call, but you can at least try.

I went through a similar situation back in June. I was allowed to keep my job, but it took a lot of talking (and eating humble pie!)
:)
Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">