• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid bonus, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tbone7

My employer has withheld all quarterly bonuses. At the begining of the year, I received my raise - a token 3% - and was told that a "bonus program" was going into effect as part of my salary structure. The bonus is to be paid on a quarterly basis. This is a performance bonus, and will only be paid if all criteria are met per quarter. All the criteria have been met, and now they won't pay the bonus. Is there anything that I can do about this? This was to be part of my salary, and now they just take it away. How can they (my employer) do that? I live in the state of Ohio. Thank you in advance. Tim

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tbone7:
My employer has withheld all quarterly bonuses. At the begining of the year, I received my raise - a token 3% - and was told that a "bonus program" was going into effect as part of my salary structure. The bonus is to be paid on a quarterly basis. This is a performance bonus, and will only be paid if all criteria are met per quarter. All the criteria have been met, and now they won't pay the bonus. Is there anything that I can do about this? This was to be part of my salary, and now they just take it away. How can they (my employer) do that? I live in the state of Ohio. Thank you in advance. Tim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

And their reasoning was . . . . . ?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

tbone7

I work in a Hotel, and the reason they gave me was that they were having finacial problems, and the money wasn't there to pay, so there lawyers told them not to pay any bonuses. The problem I have is that I saved them over $24,000.00 under budget for the quarter. If they were budgeted to spend the money, then where is my bonus. My feeling is that they didn't think I would be so much under budget for the quarter. My share of the bonus would be $1,400. A small amount compared to what I saved them.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tbone7:
I work in a Hotel, and the reason they gave me was that they were having finacial problems, and the money wasn't there to pay, so there lawyers told them not to pay any bonuses. The problem I have is that I saved them over $24,000.00 under budget for the quarter. If they were budgeted to spend the money, then where is my bonus. My feeling is that they didn't think I would be so much under budget for the quarter. My share of the bonus would be $1,400. A small amount compared to what I saved them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sounds to me like their lawyer gave them some fairly bad and dangerous advice. The advice will help them in the short term, but how will that help them when you contact your State's Labor Board and lodge a complaint, causing an investigation? And, how is going to help them in the long run when you sue your employer in Small Claims court for breach of contract, contractual bad faith, bad faith denial of contract, punitive damages, and actual damages?

Get to an attorney.

IAAL

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

IAAL
Thank you for your response.

Tim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You're welcome, Tim. Let me know what happens.

IAAL

------------------

T

tbone7

IAAL,
I plan on calling my State Labor Board on Monday, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">