• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Commissions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steven200738

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.
My former construction employer owes me money for unpaid commissions for sales and for running jobs. Back in November 2006, I went to review and collect my commissions. They only gave me part of what was owed to me because they claimed they didn't have the full amount. It was winter and the slow time of the year, so I was sympathetic because I had worked for the owner for almost 14 years. They then tried to reestablish the terms of my commissions AFTER the work had been completed and it was time to pay. I told the owner and finance director (brothers) that they couldn't do that, but they still just paid me what they thought was fair. At no time did I ever agree to or sign anything. When I went to the owner to talk about it, he said that if I asked for the full amount that it would be the end of our working relationship (he would fire me). Since he was very angry and threatening me, I wasn't sure what to do, so I decided to let some time pass and revisit the owed money at a later date, thinking they would then have it. I have contacted the finance director at least 3 times regarding the unpaid commissions. He keeps telling me he will look into it and get back to me (which he has not done). Now the company has laid me off because I was injured and filed a worker's comp claim (and yes, the owner was furious about me filing a claim). I know they have no intensions of hiring me back, and I would just like my money. I know it has been a year and a half, but they have been stalling. One more thing, I did find another guy who they took a year and a half to pay as well. I believe the amount to be over $10,000 and have documentation to prove everything I claim. Is there a time limit for recovery? What is my best course of action? I know my state's maximum for conciliation court is only $7,500. Would it be wise to get a lawyer involved at this point to seek the maximum that is owed? I need some good legal advice here. Statistics and historical data in similar cases?

SOSHY21

you need to contact your labor board asap! my ex employer owes me 1100.00 and I didn't get my check on my kast day i worked. I told her she has one week to pay me and she didn't so I filed a wage claim with the state. for every day she does not pay me, I get a break down of my commission per day. It ended up being 160.00 per day. No she owes me double I think you may only have a certain period of time to file so find out what your state laws are on that. Good Luck

threepeas

take action asap!

I was just in conciliation court with my former employer for refusing to pay final wages and commissions. MN has strict wage laws, so they will be penalized if you can still sue with the length of time it has been. Contact Labor Standards at 651.284.5005 and tell them you want to pursue a wage claim. Find out if you can still do so with the length of time it has been and they'll be very helpful. If your former employer doesn't pay after receiving the letter the state will send out, then take them immediately to conciliation (or small claims) court!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">