• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Expense Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skiracer9

What is the name of your state? California

My former employee owes me quite a bit of money (i.e., the amount exceeds what small claims court would allow). They have been making me minimal payments to 'chip away' at what they owe me but at the rate they are paying it is going to take years. I have heard every excuse in the book as to why they can't pay me and at the same time I know they are spending money to attend trade shows, pay other employees' reimbursements, utilities, etc. My reimbursements are on the bottom of their list.

The company is located in Illinois and I am in California. How can I get my money? Do I sue the owner and/or the company? If so, in California or in Illinois? Please help....

pattytx

Since the CA Labor Code Section 2802 requires the employer reimburse the employee for business-related expenses (it's the only state that does), have you tried contacting the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement to see if they will accept a claim for the nonpayment? Otherwise, yes, you would have to sue and it would be, I believe, in Illinois. If the DLSE can't help you, or you decide to pursue this individually, seek the advice of a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">