• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UNPAID HOURS/ SMALL CLAIMS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am just trying to get the matter solved and have tried to get the guy to be considerate but he keeps taking me in circles.
And to add to that. With a small claims judgement it will be up to you, not the state, to collect.

Did you ever provide the I9 documents?

I didn't since at the point he asked for them, I had already lost trust to give him with my personal information.

quincy

I am just trying to get the matter solved and have tried to get the guy to be considerate but he keeps taking me in circles.

I didn't since at the point he asked for them, I had already lost trust to give him with my personal information.
You need to provide him with the proper documents if you want to get paid.

Last edited:

HRZ

Failure to provide the docuements gives him an excuse not to pay you ...me I'd provide the requested information two different ways like today ( one of which is old paper mail certified return receipt ) so as to remove that excuse from the table ,

Hi guys, I hope everyone is having a great day so far. I appreciate all your feedback and welcome the ideas shared.
I ended up scanning the documents he asked for and sent the attachments to his email. I also requested that he acknowledge receipt of the email.
Although a couple of days have passed, I haven't heard anything from him and I have no way to know if he read the email or not.

I am planning on waiting till Monday the 18th and if I don't hear from him by then, I will send him a certified mail with copies of the documents. Does this sound like a good idea?

PayrollHRGuy

As good as any. But for the record copies of documents are not legal for him to complete the employer's portion of the I9.

quincy

Hi guys, I hope everyone is having a great day so far. I appreciate all your feedback and welcome the ideas shared.
I ended up scanning the documents he asked for and sent the attachments to his email. I also requested that he acknowledge receipt of the email.
Although a couple of days have passed, I haven't heard anything from him and I have no way to know if he read the email or not.

I am planning on waiting till Monday the 18th and if I don't hear from him by then, I will send him a certified mail with copies of the documents. Does this sound like a good idea?
It sounds as if you are providing what he requested in the manner he requested it. A call on Monday if you do not receive a response is a good idea.

He really should have obtained this information from you before you started work.

Thanks for the update. Good luck.

HRZ

IF a few days after you provided the requested information you are not paid in full then file a wage claim with state . Sorry , I dropped this midstream .

Last edited:
It sounds as if you are providing what he requested in the manner he requested it. A call on Monday if you do not receive a response is a good idea.

He really should have obtained this information from you before you started work.

Thanks for the update. Good luck.
Thanks for your feedback. I was intending to try and call him Monday even though he had said that I wouldn’t be able to contact him through the phone.

If I was to call him from my phone and he’s still blocking me, would calling from a different number be considered harassment?

PayrollHRGuy

I'm not implying anything. I'm saying that if the employer completes page 2 of the I9 using copies of documents instead of the actual documents he is breaking the law.

This is not your problem though it is his. I just made the comment to let you know what sort of guy he is.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I filled the I-9 form before scanning and emailing it but left the parts for the employer blank. Is that what you were implying?
Just to be clear - the employer is supposed to examine the original documents when filling out the form.

IF a few days after you provided the requested information you are not paid in full then file a wage claim with state . Sorry , I dropped this midstream .

That’s the route I will take if I don’t hear from him though I am hoping to not go there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">