• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid light rail Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

The court clerk was walking a fine line when she suggested Ksweet0412 file a motion for consolidation. The clerk should have limited herself to simply directing Ksweet to the sheriff’s office for information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The court clerk was walking a fine line when she suggested Ksweet0412 file a motion for consolidation.
That's not what the clerk suggested.
The clerk should have limited herself to simply directing Ksweet to the sheriff’s office for information.
That's what the clerk did - with the additional suggestion that the OP ask if they (the Sheriff's office) are willing to ask the court to consolidate the citations.

I do agree that this is a fine line.

quincy

Thanks you were no help at all. I was told by the clerks off that I can take the tickets to the sheriffs office, and ask them file a motion to consolidate these cases .
The above quote sounds to me like the clerk suggested a motion to consolidate the cases. Not that it really matters, though. :)

CdwJava

I don't see anything on that page that would prevent a court clerk from letting a person know that they could ask the Sheriff's office to ask the court to consolidate the cases.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how a Sheriff's office would be able to consolidate anything involving citations. First, most Sheriff's offices do very little traffic as they often have an MOU with the CHP (the exception being for most contract cities). Second, the Sheriff's Office has no say in these matters at this point, so any such request would be pretty much pointless as they have no real grounds or ability to do anything of the sort.

What CAN happen (at least I have hard of it happening) is for the defendant to go to court to address these matters and MAYBE get some of them consolidated or some break to get out of some or all of the penalties. Though, since they have gone to collections, that may throw a huge monkjey wrench into the works.

CdwJava

Now, if what the OP is suggesting is that some of these tickets have gone to an arrest warrant, now THAT can be handled by issuing a notice to appear on the arrest warrants. But, that doesn't appear to be the case.

quincy

I am not seeing how the Sheriff’s Office can help, either. A consolidation of the debts owed on the tickets might be possible through the State, though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm trying to wrap my head around how a Sheriff's office would be able to consolidate anything involving citations. First, most Sheriff's offices do very little traffic as they often have an MOU with the CHP (the exception being for most contract cities). Second, the Sheriff's Office has no say in these matters at this point, so any such request would be pretty much pointless as they have no real grounds or ability to do anything of the sort.

What CAN happen (at least I have hard of it happening) is for the defendant to go to court to address these matters and MAYBE get some of them consolidated or some break to get out of some or all of the penalties. Though, since they have gone to collections, that may throw a huge monkjey wrench into the works.
Don't get me wrong. I believe that the chances of the Sheriff doing anything about this are slim to none...and I can see the dust in the distance, as slim left town quite some time back. In fact, I don't think the OP was even told what he thinks he was told.

CdwJava

Don't get me wrong. I believe that the chances of the Sheriff doing anything about this are slim to none...and I can see the dust in the distance, as slim left town quite some time back. In fact, I don't think the OP was even told what he thinks he was told.
Yeah, I think they mis-heard what was suggested. Though, the phrasing, "My next step is to go to the sheriffs office and try to get them to write me out a court date for some of these tickets. " indicates the possibility that some of these citations may have gone to warrant. In that case, any that have gone to warrant could, in theory, be cited out with a new court date for any or all of those that have gone to warrant. But, few infractions can even go to warrant as a matter of statute, and those that do do not also tend to go to collections. Though, there always seems to be exceptions to every rule.

Welcome back. I was starting to think that you were in jail, or something.
Afraid not.
I had some issues with the sale of the property in Canada that I inherited.
I had multiple layers of incompetence to wade through, including my local bank 'misplacing' an international money order for $50,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">