• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid medical/dental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas

Just went to mediation yesterday. Our original order stated both parents were to pay for half of all uninsured medical, but no dental, so I had that updated to include dental/ortho.

Question is - it may be a mute point as I have never been reimbursed for any bills, but what happens now that we have gone to mediation and he has been "warned" and dental has been added?

I of course don't want to end up in court but the medical and especially the dental are about $1000.00 above what my insurance covered in the past year alone! (he had to have dental surgery and will need more)

So I give him a bill within thirty days, he has thirty days to pay, it doesn't get paid....what do i do? Send him a monthly accumulation of bills? Until what? If he never pays any of it, do I have to file contempt? :( I really don't want to do this, heck I just dropped contempt on 15K in child support arrears (he is currently paying) and am trying to make a positive start with mediation instead of court.

I just think knowing this - he will get away with whatever he is allowed to get away with and I will never see a penny of reimbursement. Any other options for me to get the dough?

brisgirl825

You'll have to file contempt of court. I realize it is frustrating.

You should bring this up since you already going to be in court to amend the COs.

Rats.

We won't be going to court, i dropped contempt charges on him for the cs and we came to agreements on everything else including the dental but I didn't think to ask HOW to go about getting the reimbursements from him.

I also managed to get it in the CO that if he stops payign support again, he is required to provide all transportation for visits! (he drives all the way 250 miles or by plane) :D That way I'm not taking money from our meager earnings to facilitate the visits when it isn't important enough for him to pay support. ;) Pheww, I have had to borrow money to travel to meet him with our son and that was getting draining.

So, that was my biggest worry, the medical/dental I didn't spend much time on, I hsould have asked more questions.

What do others on here do if an NCP doesn't respond or doesn't pay up on a bill?

Just curious....

This is something we have always had issues with. My husband has always covered my step-daughter with insurance. The mom has almost always used the insurance incorrectly (going to a provider that isn't on the plan), expecting us to still pay for half of everything. Another thing is she never has sent a bill within 30 days like it says in the co. She will wait a couple of months and then out of the blue she will ask us to pay half of the bill for glasses. I just have to ask this to see if anyone will reply.....If all the child's dental work has been taken care of by us, including fillings, cleanings, etc. for at least 10 years, isn't it fair that she take care of the glasses? There is nothing specific about vision or dental in the court order. Wouldn't it be fair to just call it even? That is thousands of dollars in dental work!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">