• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2April2

I and my ex-boyfriend (we are not married) have bought a joint property. We are both owners and mortgage borrowers . I already signed Quit Claim Deed to him.Recently he was died.He had a daughter. What I need to do with my unpaid mortgage?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

You deeded your rights in the property to your ex-boyfriend and you are no longer an owner of the property - but you remained on the mortgage loan?

quincy

You will want to read your mortgage loan documents first to see how the lender addresses the death of one of the obligors - and do not default on the loan. Continue to make payments.

Often the estate of the deceased becomes the new cosigner on the loan.

I think you will want to speak to an attorney for advice on how best to approach the family of your ex-boyfriend and how best to remove yourself from the loan on what is now (more than likely) the daughter's house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">