• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountain cabin

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My husband and I have not paid or filed income tax in the past 10 years. We would like to come clean with the IRS and file, but are afraid of the repercusions. We are self employed and have fallen on very hard times since 9/11. Before 9/11 we made very good money.

What exactly will the government do to us if we contact them about our back taxes? We haven't kept a lot of receipts, so that may be a problem for us. Will we lose our house? We don't have a lot of equity in it. Will we go to jail? We really don't have a lot of money right now, but would like to get this off of our backs sometime in the future.


Senior Member
Go see a tax attorney or at least an Enrolled Agent who does a lot of Offers In Compromise before talking to the IRS.

mountain cabin

Junior Member
There is really no way we can afford to do anything at the moment. We are barely getting by as it is. What are the chances of the IRS auditing us anyways? It has been 10 years and they have not been in contact with us.

Since there is no way for the IRS to know exactly how much we make couldn't we just say we earn $10,000 a year to lower the amount we would have to pay?


your bank records will prove differently if required to furnish this info.


Senior Member
Gee, you want ot go from failing to file to filing a fraudulent return? Guess which one's worse! You need to file tax returns, if only to start the statute of limitations so that those years will eventually close. File the tax returns to the best of your ability, without understating income or overstating expenses. Then submit an offer in compromise. The OIC will probably be granted, since you have little income now & can't really afford to pay the IRS anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential