• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid wages - need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA


My employer did not pay me for 400 hours.
I filed a compliant against them in DOL of PA.
But DOL says that, since I did not work physically at PA, they can not do
anything about it.Is this true?
That company is a S/W consultancy company based at PA, but I was physically working at Minnesota at a client site.My payroll was getting processed from PA.
What shoud I do now to get my wages back.
Please advise.


I'm a Northern Girl
File a complaint with the DOL in Minnesota.

Where the payroll is processed doesn't matter. Where you worked, does. The PA DOL is quite right - if you didn't work in PA, they can't help you. Minnesota can.
Try this!!!!!

My husband went to work for someone and did not get any of his overtime. i turned the company over to the state wage and labor board and the federal hourly and wage divisionsl They investigated, found the man gulity ( we had proof of hours worked) and ordered him to pay, When he still didn't, we got an attorney who sued. We won a very nice settlement

Good luck


I'm a Northern Girl
I still think that going through the correct state DOL might be a trifle easier. The federal DOL isn't going anywhere - it will still be there if filing through MN doesn't work. So will lawsuits.

Katy W.

I think the agency you originate your claim with depends on how many employees and what kind of business the company is. In AZ if it is a non-profit or it they do under $500,000 revenue per year it goes to the State Corporation Commission, wage & hour division. I'm sure this varies by state, and these guys (pointing at the HR people) can help you with that. My last post just meant, the DOL is the same thing as the federal wage and hour board.


I'm a Northern Girl
Careful there, Katy. If you're meaning to refer to the Federal DOL, it's usually best to say so, or reference the US DOL. Most if not all states (I think Florida may be the only exception) have a DOL at the state level. They don't all call it that (for example, in my state, it's part of the Attorney General's office) but from an HR perspective, DOL can just as easily be a blanket term for whatever agency handles wage and hour issues as it can the Federal Department of Labor.


Junior Member
Attorney Information

Hi longsally111,

Was this attorney from MN?
Is is possible to share the attorney information.
I am looking for such attorney in MN who has successfully fought this kind
of wage and salary case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential