• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jossiebear

What is the name of your state?Indiana. My employer called me into the office 3 weeks ago to tell be that for over a year that the payroll company has not been taking out an additional fee of $2.00 for my child support payment. Which he told me over 3 years ago he chooses not to take this out. Now he says he does not want to be out all this money and asked me to pay him all the rears of these fee and I have contacted the labor board and got nothing but the run around. I contacted the child support in the state of Iowa which is where the court order is from and they said he can start to take this deduction and that if he wanted this deduction take it needs to be taken at the time check is printed for each pay period. Now he is holding on to my pay check and refusing to pay me for my hours worked. What is my best opption to take to get my paycheck and get him to understand what he is requesting is wrong? Jossie

Beth3

Contact your State's Department of Labor/Labor Board and file a complaint. If the boss decided not to withhold the $2 processing fee your State allows, then that was his choice. He cannot now withhold your paycheck and refuse to pay you because he's decided he doesn't care for the decision he made back then. He MUST pay you for the hours you've worked.

He can start charging you the $2 fee going forward but he can't withhold your paycheck to make up for the arrears he feels like collecting now.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To file a complaint with the state Department of Labor.

I'm not up on garnishments in your state so I can't say offhand for certain whether he can retroactively take the $2 administration fee, but he CAN begin taking it now. Your state specifically allows a $2 deduction per child support order (I DO know that much).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">