• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpublished manuscript

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhine

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm writng a book and learned that there was unpublished manuscript containing information related to the theme of my book. I visited the library, read the manuscript, obtained a form from the library to give me rights to publish excerpts from the mansucript. I never received the written permission, called the library, and learned that the library doesn't own the rights, and was told I couldn't use information from the manuscript. The library had contacted the copyright owner, who denied permission. My question...can I legally mention in my book that the manuscript exists(not mentioning the name),name the author and mention the fact that I have read it?
I'm having difficulty understanding why I can't say anything about what I learned from the manuscript as long as I don't quote passages or use excerpts.
Thanks for your help.

BelizeBreeze

Rhine said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I'm writng a book and learned that there was unpublished manuscript containing information related to the theme of my book. I visited the library, read the manuscript, obtained a form from the library to give me rights to publish excerpts from the mansucript. I never received the written permission, called the library, and learned that the library doesn't own the rights, and was told I couldn't use information from the manuscript. The library had contacted the copyright owner, who denied permission. My question...can I legally mention in my book that the manuscript exists(not mentioning the name),name the author and mention the fact that I have read it?
I'm having difficulty understanding why I can't say anything about what I learned from the manuscript as long as I don't quote passages or use excerpts.
Thanks for your help.
If you do NOT use anything from the manuscript you do have the right to 'attribute' it in another work. Simply stating that it exists, the ISBN number, author and other 'facts' is not infringement.

divgradcurl

As BB noted, you can use the "information" you obtained from the maunscript -- information itself cannot be copyrighted -- but you may not use excerpts and the like without permission (unless you want to go to court and argue fair use as a defense, not the recommended action to follow).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">