• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreasonable investigation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cinnamonbear

What is the name of your state? Utah

My husband died only a few months after policy was in effect. Company is now investigating. I feel like they are "forcing" me into doing/saying something that would disqualify the policy. I want to be honest with the company, but I feel like EVERYTHING I say is being scrutinized. I do not wish to go into detail, but I just want to know some things.

I KNOW my husband DID NOT lie on the application, but there is some discrepancy on SOME of the questions. (Due to interpretation of questions as explained by the underwriter)

Some of the questions I have:

1. At what point does an insurance company's investigation become "unreasonable"?

2. How much information am I required to divulge?

3. What kind of time-frame am I looking at before the policy is either denied or paid out?

4. Company wants to have a list of names of people concerning the type of activity which caused my husband's death. Is this normal and is it a reasonable request? Would they attempt to contact those individuals?

5. At what point is it necessary to hire a lawyer?

6. Will the discrepancy in the interpretation of the questions be cause enough for the denail of the claim? (You would problaby need to know the nitty-gritty details to answer that one fully...make a guess!)

Any other info/advice will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Dandy Don

You have been so vague that it's hard to know how to advise you. What was the type of activity that caused your husband's death and what was his cause of death?

Is the insurance company asking you for written responses to their questions or only contacting you by phone?

If you were not directly involved with the death and if you have nothing to hide, it's best to be completely honest and forthcoming, or else YOU might become a suspect.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Obviously you preferred not to post the details in order to protect your privacy, which is probably best to do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">