• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unrelated question, but don't know where to post.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweety14

What is the name of your state?TN

Have any of you guys and gals tried any of the online detective services like netdetective, courtrecords.org, etc.? I have been looking at some of these to try to do a criminal background check, but was wondering if they were ripoffs. Do they really give access to court records etc.?
Can you go to your county courthouse and find out information?

Thank you in advance! :)

bredanmom

there is a site called idocket.com where you can register for free. all you get though is if they had a court date and for what. it doesnt give much details just dates and names...you know what i am sorry i completely forgot that idocket was only for tx and oklahoma maybe...sorry about that

Last edited:

tigger22472

bredanmom said:
there is a site called idocket.com where you can register for free. all you get though is if they had a court date and for what. it doesnt give much details just dates and names

Unless I'm mistaken that's only for Tx...unless I did something wrong.

bredanmom

youre right i just edited my post i forgot about that
until i checked the site just a minute ago it is for tx and i think one other state

waitinMd

You can go to the courthouse and search for domestic or criminal charges against anyone. It is usually 50 cents a page. You may also request a copy of the entire court hearing, which is a transcript. That usually is 25.00

You have to fill out a paper if you are asking for transcripts. When you get on the computer, or if have to ask a clerk, they will give you a case number for that particular person you are researching.

Tell them you want to see the "entire" case folder. You may make copies of everything except the bail bonds.

You may search for charges at any courthouse in your state, it will show you the case numbers and give what they were charged with, but if you want to see the "actual" case folder, you have to go to the county where the charges were actually filed. I had to go to two counties to get domestic and criminal information.

Tweety14

bredanmom said:
there is a site called idocket.com where you can register for free. all you get though is if they had a court date and for what. it doesnt give much details just dates and names...you know what i am sorry i completely forgot that idocket was only for tx and oklahoma maybe...sorry about that
:) Thank you anyway.That is a nice site for Texas. I wish they had sites for every state.

Tweety14

waitinMd said:
You can go to the courthouse and search for domestic or criminal charges against anyone. It is usually 50 cents a page. You may also request a copy of the entire court hearing, which is a transcript. That usually is 25.00

You have to fill out a paper if you are asking for transcripts. When you get on the computer, or if have to ask a clerk, they will give you a case number for that particular person you are researching.

Tell them you want to see the "entire" case folder. You may make copies of everything except the bail bonds.

You may search for charges at any courthouse in your state, it will show you the case numbers and give what they were charged with, but if you want to see the "actual" case folder, you have to go to the county where the charges were actually filed. I had to go to two counties to get domestic and criminal information.
:) Thank you so much. That is alot of information that I know I will use. I thought you could look up court files but I didn't have an idea how!

The people you are investigating will not have to be informed about you looking at thier records will they?

waitinMd

No. they do not know that you asked/checked for the charges, but they can find out if you ask to see the entire case file. There is a paper you have to fill out. Or, like I said, if you get the transcript.

Most people will not go to the courthouse and check to see if anyone looked at their file. The courthouse does NOT inform them that their file was looked at.

If you are just gathering information, you may just need the case number/date/charges/and final decision (for instance, it may say PBJ or it may say to go to anger management, or alcohol rehab.

They have lots of acronyms, you can ask the clerk what they mean.

If you go to court, you can give your lawyer the case numbers, and he can get the applicable files. I think only 3 yrs back is required, but if they have a history, such as drugs, or domestic violence, it counts to the judge.

acmb05

You can also tyr

searchsystems.net just type in the county you want to search in and if court records are available online you can find it there.

CO19

Tweety,

Do NOT rely on database info nor info from the state criminal repository, as they are most often outdated and incomplete and the state-level repository is only as current as the counties reporting. Criminal records need to be searched at the county-level in all jurisdictions where subject has lived, worked, or studied. It's important to also check all AKA's they may have used to cross-check the index.

Tweety14 said:
:) Thank you anyway.That is a nice site for Texas. I wish they had sites for every state.
You can know any person better than they know themselves, if you are willing to spend the time. It is always best to do it yourself, so you have exactly what you want. The info from the "detective" search firms you refer to is available to anybody through the FIA (freedom of information Act). You are just paying somebody to do the legwork.

It is an art, just like anything else....the more you search, the better you become at searching. Many states (not all) have online searches at their city/county/state/ websites.

This for example, is just a few in Colorado. (not your state, but will give you ideas where they are usually found)

http://www.sctc.state.co.us/marriages/default.aspx marriage records

http://www.sctc.state.co.us/marriages/divorces.aspx divorce records

http://www.denvergov.org/court/courtselect.asp county court cases

https://www.cbirecordscheck.com/Index.asp criminal history $6.85

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
Here are a few resources that will get you started:

http://www.netronline.com/public_records.htm public records by state

http://www.brbpub.com/pubrecsites.asp index of free pub records *

http://www.gao.gov/special.pubs/soi/soi_ch5.htm sources on the net **

http://www.fletc.gov/legal/investigatorweblinks.htm weblinks page

Just a thought to consider:
Many people, especially my ex, think they have hidden many things from me.(most of it being info that should be...and would be shared by honest people). This is what people with poor character do....lie,cheat,hide and deceive others...it is a lifestyle for them. As for the people mentioned above where I have been the target....each of them still believes today, that they were successful in every case. I will continue to ensure they do, although I know the truth in every instance.

Why not expose them? Get even, and prove they are liars? I am not on an Ego trip, not a stalker, and they already know they are liars. I want what I need to parent and protect my daughter....the truth....that is all. I could destroy my ex socially, emotionally, and legally. This might be fun doing to the ex....but not to my daughter's mother, which she needs.

I only retrieve what is necessary to deal with an issue, never anything for curiousity or positioning with the ex. If I was interested in the ex's life, I would still be married to her.

Becoming proficient in covert "spy" techniques sounds cool, and does provide one with a powerful advantage. In my opinion, it is a skill you never reveal to anyone you know. Because if you do, it will change things you can never fix.

and no... I won't "do you a favor".....lol,,lol

Just Blue

Tweety14 said:
What is the name of your state?TN

Have any of you guys and gals tried any of the online detective services like netdetective, courtrecords.org, etc.? I have been looking at some of these to try to do a criminal background check, but was wondering if they were ripoffs. Do they really give access to court records etc.?
Can you go to your county courthouse and find out information?

Thank you in advance! :)

You can go to the county court house and look up a backround...it's public record...but you might want to consider getting a GOOD P.I. ...they will have access to records nationwide....it will cost a bit but it might be worth it for you!

SITLYNNE

I tried several of these, Net Detective included and have always asked for my money back. I had more luck going directly to the court house and even calling the local magistrates offices, I got a lot of info from that. Also, searchsystems.net is really good and no charge. Don't waste your money for the paid sites. You can get everything you need for no charge except maybe a copy charge. What exactly are you searching for? Do you know if there are any criminal records or are you just checking? It helps to know what kind of docket you are searching for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">